Author Topic: Victorian grain measures  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
Victorian grain measures
« on: August 29, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
These are part of my heritage. My family were corn merchants in mid 1800s variously known as corn factors or corn brokers.
These are dry grain measures. I remember dipping them into sacks of wheat, barley and corn as a child in the '50s.
They have exact volumes (measured by filling with wheat) of 1 pint, 1/2 pint and 1/4 pint (Gill). They are made from Sycamore and ash respectively. Moisture content was 20-25% when turned.

I discussed the method of manufacture with Stuart King. They appear to have been made on a continuously rotating lathe.
I made them as an exercise as functional items rather than glossy sales pieces.
My method is here:

The originals now look like this............and all bear assay marks and various mid-1800 dates

I have resisted staining the measures because they would have been white wood when made. They are not perfect but perfectly functional.

C& C welcome
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Victorian grain measures
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Most of us turn for pleasure, a few to make a living.

But to see item like this is the reminder I think we all need occasionally, that once the Wood Turner was as important as the Blacksmith in any village or town.

Their turnings were to produce the everyday items needed around the home, farm and local industries.

Well done in reproducing items form your families past and thanks for the reminder of the tradition we should strive to carry forward.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:40:23 PM »
Most of us turn for pleasure, a few to make a living.

But to see item like this is the reminder I think we all need occasionally, that once the Wood Turner was as important as the Blacksmith in any village or town.

Their turnings were to produce the everyday items needed around the home, farm and local industries.

Well done in reproducing items form your families past and thanks for the reminder of the tradition we should strive to carry forward.

Bryan

Here, here! Couldn't have said it better than that (or even, as well as that).

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Tom Sherman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
An excellent reminder that wood turning has a practical side. Great work.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »
Great to see these, how you made them and the connection with your family history. Thank you for sharing.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks for showing these Nick. This is one of the reasons that the Worshipful Company of Turners was brought about, to standardise measures as there were some that made short measures for non- discerning retailers.