Author Topic: Turn-Tech New Zealand  (Read 4048 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Turn-Tech New Zealand
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »
Can anyone shine some light on a couple of brand names

I've just got some very nice looking hollowing tools heavy duty stuff the brand name on the handles is Turn-Tech they seem to have been based in Wellington New Zealand, but if I google them I can find no details. Also I have a couple of Byson 4 jaw scroll chucks I've found this company, but the rest of the results are spelt Bison, I'm guessing this is one of the same.

Thanks

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Turn-Tech New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:21:44 AM »
The Bison chucks were sold by Axminster at one point as their super precision chucks. I have a couple of them.

If you can't find anything on turn Tech, try contacting Terry Scott in New Zealand, I'm sure he will be able to fill in the gaps.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
Thanks Paul :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:55:36 PM »
Ed,

I've asked some people in Aus I speak with occasionally, one of them offered the following,

http://www.lathe-chucks.com/bison/bison-manual-chuck-index.htm

and

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bison+chucks+australia&cad=h

Nothing on the tools yet though.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
Thanks Bryan

The Bison chuck is as Paul said it's the same/similar to the old Axminster Precision chuck and I've tested the carriers and they both fit each other so happy days.

I was told by someone I was talking to today that Turn-Tech was made by Link Technology International Ltd and that they had gone out of business. It's a shame because the hollowing tools I've picked up look a great bit of kit for deep hollowing it would have been nice to be able to get some spare cutters.

All the best

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
The Bison chucks were sold by Axminster at one point as their super precision chucks. I have a couple of them.

If you can't find anything on turn Tech, try contacting Terry Scott in New Zealand, I'm sure he will be able to fill in the gaps.

I was told by Axminster that the super precision chuck was made in Poland I have 3 of them they are great chucks but very heavy.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »
Thanks Bryan

The Bison chuck is as Paul said it's the same/similar to the old Axminster Precision chuck and I've tested the carriers and they both fit each other so happy days.

I was told by someone I was talking to today that Turn-Tech was made by Link Technology International Ltd and that they had gone out of business. It's a shame because the hollowing tools I've picked up look a great bit of kit for deep hollowing it would have been nice to be able to get some spare cutters.

All the best

Ed

Have you investigated the possibility of using cutters manufactured by another company?

I've  used successfully some of Sorby's cutters sold for their RS200 and RS200KT with another (defunct)  manufacturer's handle.

MC

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »
Thanks to Paul I contacted Terry and it seems the company went out of business some years ago.

But I now know from Terry these tools were called Exocet.

So I'm now trying to find cutters to fit :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Ed,

if you do track down a cutter supplier for the Exocet, you might let me know. I have one with the extra length handle, and use it regularly. I don't need a replacement cutter yet, but it will come one day.

Something in the back of my mind says they are (or were until recently) still available in France.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!