Author Topic: Hollow form and vases  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Hollow form and vases
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »
Here are a couple of pieces I turned recently.
The colored one is ash 12h x 6w inches and the two black walnut are about 5 and 8 inch high.
The ash vase had a neck but when while re turning it I was obliged to remove it so here is the result.
CancC welcome

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Hollow form and vases
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:45:21 PM »
I like the smaller walnut form the best. When I look at it, my head says: this isn't following classical hollow form shape ideals at all, but the heart says: yeah, this has character.
I am not sure what to do with the ash form. I personally would have liked to see the shoulder to turn in more, but then it sounds like your hand was forced a little. The thing I am most unsure about is the colouring. From what I can see all you have done is make a piece of ash look like a piece of pine. But maybe I am missing the point altogether.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »
The Ash Vase does nothing for me ( A Vase is a vase is a vase  ) but the Walnut pieces are very nice

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
Fuzzy and GBF thank you for your comments.
Personally I like the coloring in the ash which otherwise is a rather bland wood but certainly this is a very personal preference. Black walnut is a very nice wood which stands out by himself.
A famous turner already said "a vase is a vase is a vase", but I cannot remember his name...

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
When you find out let us all know.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Tom Sherman

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
I like the inclusion of the sap wood in the walnut pieces, the Ash I'm unsure about.