Author Topic: Apple vase-form  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Apple vase-form
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
Firstly, a big 'Thanks' to Steve W for dropping off a lovely lump of apple which was just about the sweetest piece of wood I've ever turned. I turned it into this vase-form, which is about 8" diameter and 10" tall.

Thanks Steve!

C&C always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Apple vase-form
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
Not sure about the last inch or two at the bottom Les, that doesn't work for me, just seems to flow wrong. Other wise the usual top standard and finish. It is lovely wood to turn isn't it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »
I am not sure this could be used as a Vase les because the base is small and would make it unstable if you put dried flowers or grasses in it.
I would be inclined to say it was an ornament and leave it at that.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:09:31 PM »
I am not sure this could be used as a Vase les because the base is small and would make it unstable if you put dried flowers or grasses in it.
I would be inclined to say it was an ornament and leave it at that.

Regards George
Fair point, George....that's why I called it a 'Vase-form', instead of a 'vase', but I see your point and perhaps the word 'vase' should be removed from its label in the shop.
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
Sorry Les,

I can't think of anything before that you've turned I did not like, but this does not work form me at all.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »
Sorry Les,

I can't think of anything before that you've turned I did not like, but this does not work form me at all.

Thanks for being so candid, Bryan, I respect your opinion and especially your frankness.

Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »

As always your finish and turning is spot on.... Sorry Les not sure the natural edge sits right in conjunction with
         the height and shape of the form, only our opinion though.
         Kind Regards
         Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »
Doesn't work for me either Les, sorry. Tell you waht I would do with it. Turn off the top so there is no flare out. Reverse it in a jam chuck and make the bottom round and then cut the whole thing in half (vertically)and rejoin them and make the whole thing an elongated elipse. Put 4 feet underneath it and double or triple the price.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 11:01:44 PM »
I think I am with Tony and Di on this one. I quite like the bottom part of the shape, but the natural edge takes over in visual weight and that makes the whole thing look unstable. I think if you were to take off the flared bit at the top completely, the shape would gain a lot of balance. Just my 2p's worth.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »
wow - love it, good to see you managed to keep the bark rim, and what a nice finish, glad i kept the trunk when it was cut down - however i need to have a few lessons in turning before i put a lump on the lathe, steve, - i have a few interesting bits of wood so when i call in again i will bring a lump, steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
Les,

I do hate being overtly negative so I've comeback to take a longer look.

I happened to move the first picture up so that only the rim was above the top of the screen, what was left looked okay, so I scrolled the image back down and (to me) it's the tight curve to the natural rim that upsets the whole curve of the piece.

I think you've achieved the aim of a well cut natural edge, but the curve below it to the rest of the vase should have been far gentler.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »
Hi Les

I keep looking at this and to be honest it's not my favorite piece of your work. But it's the buying public that count. I bet it's going to be one of those pieces that sells quicker than anything else.

Great looking finish on a very nice piece of wood :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »
...to be honest it's not my favorite piece of your work. But it's the buying public that count. I bet it's going to be one of those pieces that sells quicker than anything else....
A very fair point, Ed. To be honest, nothing much is selling, this week, but the number of people who have come in to the shop and asked to touch it is very encouraging....I'll keep you posted!

Les

Tom Sherman

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
Les, as usual, your turning and finishing are spot on. The form however seems a bit off. I would expect to see to mouth of the form with more of a birds mouth shape to it and not such a sharp curve under the rim. The flat shape of the rim just stops the eye abruptly, as to the bottom I believe it will do, especially if it is intended to be an art piece vs functional. Just my thoughts, still a nice piece.