Author Topic: Balance  (Read 3160 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Balance
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
A while ago I posted a piece called Nature versus Nurture, and mentioned it was the second in a series, all connected by the fact that they are balancing pieces. I thought I had posted the very first one in the series, but couldn't find it in the history of the blog, so here it is.
Made from the same wild cherry as the simple cherry bowl, obviously with a different cut. Before you ask: yes, all of this was made on a lathe. It is not glued together, the dish is held in place simply by gravity. This has quite a surprising result on shows. People pick up the dish, the stand collapses, and they get terribly embarrassed until I explain it to them and re-assemble the lot.

In hindsight my own criticism with this piece is that the dish is a little too small (or the stand too large), but then it was always an experiment. Now that I have a bigger lathe, I might make a bigger dish for it.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:37:07 PM by fuzzyturns »

Tom Sherman

Re: Balance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »
I like it Fuzzy, very smart piece.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Like the concept but agree either a larger dish or a smaller base

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
Works for me the bowl is the same size as the stand

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31:56 PM »
Bit difficult to see the proprtions from the photo angle but must admit I agree with George, if the bowl was any bigger I think it would look top heavy. Only bit I am not sure of is the joint between the base and the upright. Not sure what the answer is though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »

We have looked at this piece quite a few times now, and for us the bowl and base look fine ...... Its the half moon support
   that seems too big / high ....... so in a sense dominating and making the piece look out of balance/ proportion.
   Like the concept of this piece fuzzy.
   Kind Regards
   Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:35 PM »
I like the concept of this a lot but feel the same as Tony and Di that the half moon support is the wrong size. I would however take it a step further if it was me and make the  bowl and then cut bits off to form the stand thereby reassembling the bowl in a different form. Nice concept though but I've said that already. ::) ::)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Any chamce of a photo from the front and /or above Fuzzy? Looking back at it I agree with John regarding the size of the support but a bit dificult to see if it is just the photo.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »
Actually, coming back and looking at it again this piece has given me loads of ideas.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 10:28:54 PM »
I've looked at this and suddenly it hit me (speed to a striking Sloth) it's all from one turning that has then been cut up.

Well done on the concept, though it does not really appeal to me. I can see this as a stand for a candle or trophy.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »
Well, well, well, what a fountain of feedback. Thanks to you all.
Tony et al: you might be right, it could be the size of the supporting piece that's wrong. I'll have to experiment with that.
John: I am very happy that this is giving you ideas. Let's inspire each other! The more, the better.
Pete: I'll see what I can do. I have a few more pieces coming towards finish now, so another photo session will be coming up soon anyway.

The base is made from one piece of cherry, that's true. The dish is sycamore, though. So I am afraid I have to disappoint you, it's not from one piece.
I still think that the dish should be about 1-2 inches wider, and that would bring the whole thing into balance (pun intended). I'll probably play around with it for a while, if I can find the time amongst all the other things I am playing around with at the moment.