Author Topic: Araucaria dish  (Read 1914 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Araucaria dish
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »
A short while ago I bought myself a power carver from Axminster, and then I started practising with it. This is one of the practice pieces. Not quite perfect yet, but I am slowly getting there. This dish is about 14" diameter, and made from araucaria (monkey puzzle tree). All C&C welcome.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
Re: Araucaria dish
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
I've not turned any monkey puzzle myself but I understand it can be tricky to turn due to hard and softer wood density. Looks like you got a good turned finish before the art work kicked in. I like the pattern, looks a bit Gothic and I must say neat for first outing of a new tool.
Thanks for sharing
Cheers
Rick

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »
With monkey puzzle there are two challenges. The first is that the tree is a coniferous tree, and as such you have a marked difference of hardness in the annular rings. As the softer parts of those rings are very soft, you have to use really sharp tools to get a decent surface off the tool, because you can't do a lot of sanding (as that will just remove more of the soft parts and create ripples).
The second challenge are the knots. They extend from the outer edge almost right through to the centre. These knots are very hard, almost like a tropical hardwood. They will cut cleanly with a sharp tool, but good tool control is needed so the tool doesn't bounce around. They do make for very nice visual features, though, due to the strong contrast in colours.

Tom Sherman

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
A very nice practice piece Fuzzy, I look forward to seeing your advancement.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:25:18 PM »

Very much like this concept Fuzzy....... and for a practice piece quite neat and tidy.
      Kind Regards
      Di & Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/