General Category > AWGB News & Announcements

Seminar questionnaire

<< < (7/13) > >>

John D Smith:

Well PaulH I have one more Question to ask you "Are you actually a Woodturner" please be specific a yes or no will do please.

John

Graham:
You are right Pete and I am really glad I went.

I think the question ( why didn't you go ) is tied up with other aspects of the AWGB like.....

If there are 4000 members why are there only about a dozen regular posters on here ?
There are 40+ members of my club, why are only a handful of them AWGB members ?

Times have changed. These are the days of 'Ask not what I can do for the AWGB, ask what the AWGB can do for me'

Somehow we have to show people that £16 (?) quid a year is a good deal and £400 a weekend is an even better deal.

PaulH:

--- Quote from: John D Smith on November 08, 2015, 10:43:12 PM ---"Are you actually a Woodturner" please be specific a yes or no will do please.
--- End quote ---
Of course, why would I take so much effort to try to help the AWGB if I wasn't interested.
I was at Toolpost's open day yesterday(BTW, why wasn't there a AWGB presence there given they're corporate members ?) and spent a nice afternoon today in my workshop starting to make a box in the style of Jason Breach who was giving an excellent demonstration there. The olive ash I was using wasn't as dry as I'd hoped, so I've ended up partially turning the main body and will leave it a few weeks before trying to finish it off properly.

Do you have anything constructive to add to this debate other than bullying me ?

Graham:
I was also at the Toolpost yesterday afternoon watching Jason. :)

bodrighywood:

--- Quote from: PaulH on November 08, 2015, 10:41:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: bodrighywood on November 08, 2015, 10:15:46 PM ---PM David, Andy or Paul and offer your expertise.
--- End quote ---
That's email, not a forum.
I post my contributions openly so that others might agree or disagree and that the discussion might develop.

--- Quote ---Perhaps it is just the medium, things said vocally can be heard as they are meant, put into writing or online they can seem cold and hard.
--- End quote ---
Just read things as written, there's no hidden agenda here.
The worst attitude online is 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything' no one learns from that.

--- End quote ---

Paul, please stop and think what you are saying because whether you mean to or not you are coming across as someone who is always in the right and no-one else is ever. The contribution of the AWGB over the last 25 years or so is immense and the work has been done by a precious few people. The membership is predominantly non active with the work done by at best 20 members who give up their free time to keep it running. How to improve it, make it more viable in the community are all valid areas for critique but personally if I cannot do more than just offer 'advice' I would shut up. I am happy to help in whatever ways I can and hope that that is apparent but I do not feel that anyone who cannot even be prepared to pay the subscription fee should feel they have the right to offer criticism unless they are also willing to back that up with active participation in some way. Anyone can look at any organisation and find fault but if they aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is (colloquially speaking before you infer I refer to paying the subscription) then I do not think that they should be so vocal in their coindemnations. You have joined this forum, have probably posted more on this particular thread than any one other and as such not given any evidence of your actual experience as a turner, or as an organiser in such matters as the AWGB. You may reply to this again but rest assured that I am done. Experience working in the fields that I have have made me know when there is no point in trying to continue 'discussing' a matter with someone who will only hear what he wants to.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version