General Category > AWGB News & Announcements

Seminar questionnaire

<< < (12/13) > >>

karyudo:
Not my place to advise, but rather than adopting the at best patronising and at worst mocking attitude demonstrated by some in another thread towards the organisers of UKIWS for their lack of experience it might pay to acknowledge that they are engaging through social media with an audience with which the AWGB has consistently failed to connect and support them in their endeavours.

MCB:
I've  just come back to this thread and discovered the existence of UKIWS

This prompts me to ask - possibly naively - why the woodturning community needs two symposia.

I apologise if previous subscribers have already asked this question

MCB

fuzzyturns:
Well, I guess it's a free world, so in theory (and in practice) just about everybody can go and organise their own symposium. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

As to why, I think it'd be best to ask them directly. Not sure you will get a reply. I tried to contact them, and did not get one. Whether that is because they are too busy, or because they are not keen on talking to AWGB members, I do not know. Since John (BHT) is one of their demonstrators, maybe he can shine a better light onto that.

From what I have seen so far, I don't think that the two events are really comparable. UKIWS is selling a maximum of 30 tickets for their pro demos, and there is only one venue for these. This is a much smaller event, and maybe that's just as well.

GBF:
I have just filled out the questionnaire and have read this thread from the beginning. I have no intentions of getting involved in the arguments but will only say this if you want to change something you have to do it from the inside it is no good sniping from the outside.
I went to the Seminar a couple of years ago and enjoyed everything about it .The organisation in my opinion was first rate and the mix of Demonstrators a good balance.
The only reason I did not go this year was the distance as most of my life has been driving great distances and I am fed up with it.
There are obviously things about the AWGB that could be improved as with any institution but basically I think it is sound and a lot of work is put in by people for no reward.
Our woodturning club at Burnham on sea is a fully paid up member of the AWGB and in my opinion the benefits are great for example our insurance costs are covered by the AWGB,we get an annual grant towards a demonstrator and our members can go on free courses if the want to. Having access to an area Rep and lots of free advice available to members.
I could go on but there is little point. 

Regards George

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
In reply to MCB I think the country could do with many more than 2 symposia but the UKIWS will be a totally different animal than the AWGB one. It is being organised on different lines to an Association event and also by people with possibly different ideas than our Executive.  Each event will have the effect of raising the profile of woodturning in this country and that can't be a bad thing in my opinion. It may be more affordable to those that have always moaned about the AWGB one being too expensive, so I will expect to see those turners in June. But like all events regardless of who or what group are organising it you have to use it or risk losing it. I fully support the AWGB and have done so since the day I joined and now I am also fully supporting UKIWS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version