Author Topic: Tool maintenance  (Read 2399 times)

Offline jamie copeland

• iron
Tool maintenance
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
Hi folks

I'm looking for your thoughts on tool maintenance. Wood turning tools are expensive and valuable to us.  Storing them correctly, keeping them sharp, etc all go towards keepng the tools in peak condition, but does anyone oil their tools?  I've heard of people using camellia oil, but is it worthwhile?

Cheers

Jamie

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Tool maintenance
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »
if you are in a very danp area then it may be of some benefit but a can't imagine that it's worthwhile for 99% of us.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10:36 PM »
I have never needed to oil my tools but I do treat parts of the lathe and my bandsaw table because I turn wet wood from time to time.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
Jamie in answer to your question. My tools are maintained by their constant use. They are always being sharpened and if I use them on a wet piece of wood a spray with WD40 before they go back in the rack. Rarely do I need to remove any rust from them (my workshop is quite dry)  With hollowing tools like a Roly Monro I will endeavour to keep it clean so as to enhance the performance sliding in and out of the handle. I do sometimes put a bit of wax on the back of tools if doing a delicate cut on a delicate piece.
   The bedways on my lathe are kept clean and dry but again after turning wet wood a spray with WD40 works for me. Other than that the only other stuff I use is dry lubricant or a release agent (the stuff used in big kitchens) to reduce the tndancy of sap build up on the machines/saw blades etc.
    Times were when you used to stop at 3pm on a Friday and clean all your kit ready for Monday but for me those times have passed now, I can't afford to stop like that anymore. I know some turners sharpen their kit on a Sunday morning but personally I think that is a waste of time, sharpen it when it needs it or when you need to use it.
  Regarding camellia oil I have never seen the need for it, just rub a candle over that does the same thing and costs less.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »
Glib answer, keep them sharp, use them often.

Serious answer:

If they are modern tools they will be High Speed Steel, and as long as they are kept in a dry place should not cause any problems.

If they are the older Carbon Steel tools (I still have a few Skews like this) then yes, a damp atmosphere (e.g. garage in wintertime) may be a problem. The as John says, WD40.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:53:11 AM »
I use a liberon lubricating wax on lathe and chucks, and if stored the tools to. Good stuff and keeps everything rust / stain free. If the lathe gets sprayed from wet wood or finishes it wipes away easily and then reapplied. As for tool sharpening its an ongoing process as they are used, just have a simple secure way to store them so they don't get dropped.

Once in a blue moon I will give the chucks and jaws the once over if getting full of crud, then again a quick wipe with the wax.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads