Author Topic: Another pair with leaf  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
Another pair with leaf
« on: November 14, 2015, 07:39:36 AM »
Thank you for comments on my last attempt to turn a pair.
It made me want to try again. I have posted the result.  The wood is poplar.
I carved the leaf from the poplar and stained it to add colour.  I wanted to try Les' idea and
attach the leaf to the stem.
Still not sure about the proportions- I  didn't want the fruit to be weakened by adding the leaf.
Not sure if it would pass the drop test. The pair is about 7 inches tall.
Have I got there yet or do I need to keep going to get that illulsive X factor into my work?
I would love to try again if only to annoy my wife!
       Regards.  Haggy

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Another pair with leaf
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
I think that leaf looks lovely, except it isn't the sort of leaf you'd find on a pear tree. I also think that the pear doesn't have enough definition, i.e. there should be more of a curve between the slim top and the wider bottom of the fruit. OTOH, it looks very well turned and finished.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »
I agree  Fuzzyturns, thank you  - the shape isn't quite there. I think this shape was a bit of an over reaction to the first one I posted. When it was on the lathe it seemed the business!
I will also look more carefully at the shape of the leaf.
       Regards.  Haggy

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »
Hello Haggy

I think I'd do without the leaf and just have the stem.  To me the leaf becomes the thing to look at instead of the shape.

And the shape is well - pear shaped!  I love turning fruit and prefer apple shapes as they seem to come in all shapes and sizes and are therefore easier to make.  Pears are always a challenge for me because if I'm not careful they look like a lightbulb  :D :D

Keep trying - that's what wives are for!

Cheers Dave

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
Haggy can I suggest that you draw a pear shape and then cut out a template for future use, that way you will know that it is the right shape withouy having to cock your head at odd angles to work it out. Nice concept though.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
John, that's not a bad idea, except pears really do come in all sorts of shapes (just like apples, come to think of it). Still, Haggy could settle on his personal favorite and go with that for a while.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 04:28:21 PM »
I like the idea of a template, I never thought of that!  That could be the answer.  I am always amazed how  a slight alteration of a line/ profile can have such a dramatic effect on the form. Thank you   Haggy

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
Hi haggy  --  Have a look on the woodworkers institute site as Nick Agar has a page on there about turning fruit and he offsets his pear to great effect and uses colour to enhance. Just a thought  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:03:36 PM »
Thanks for your tip Julian.  I have had a look at the site(didn't know existed) - not found the page of NA's yet, but I have enjoyed looking for it!     Regards. Haggy

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
Hi Haggy & Julian,
                           I also looked at the Woodworkers site There was some fruit turning by Nick Arnull did you get the name correct? I have also at some time come across fruit turning by Colwin Way of Axminster Tools
                                                                       Regards John
John Smith

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
Woops ! You are quite right John - sorry for that Turning Fruit is the one I meant.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian