Author Topic: Laburnum bowl / vase  (Read 2720 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
Laburnum bowl / vase
« on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
I cut a few bits of  Laburnum a little while back and made this one from a small log ( turned end grain ) whilst still very green , it is about 6" tall and about 2-3 mm thick , about 1/2 the hollowing was done with a small gouge with a swept back profile and the lower section I use hollowing tools (scraper type )  I have done quite a few of these in the past with various species of wood  but Laburnum just seems the best and it makes good use of a small dia log , some other logs i have roughed out as lidded boxes to be completed at a later date .... Terry
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:49:52 PM by TWiG »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Laburnum bowl / vase
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »
Hi Terry...I really like the upper 90% of it, but feel it would have been better either without a foot, or with a tiny foot....the large foot does nothing for me. The main body though, is beautifully balanced.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
Shades of Bert marsh. Overall I tend to agree with Les on this one. The foot detracts in my view from what is otherwise a lovely piece but again it is a matter of personal tase.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:41:09 AM »
Nice Goblet ;D,looks fine to me,but I`ve always been "special" as my son says  ;D ;D ;D
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
I think it needs the foot to give it lift and a balance against the slight wide (as against a Birt Marsh) shaped vessel.

And you are right, the difference in colour between the sap and heart wood does lend itself well to this sort of vessel.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
I added the foot for several reasons , mainly because I  prefer  it ,  it is needed for stability as it is very light , also it makes it much easier to pick up , I have made quite a few of these in the past and I have found this style is more popular ....They are also about the best way of utilising wood of this dimension of which is often available .