Author Topic: euro 2000  (Read 11188 times)

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
euro 2000
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
hi all just wondered if anyone would know how much a euro 2000 should be going for these days?

what were they brand new?

any help is appreciated.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: euro 2000
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
You been looking at *bay again?

I looked into these when they were available from Poolewood some years ago as I liked the idea of the design and capacity. I spoke to a couple of users who said that torque was an issue with the direct drive system as there were no belts or gearbox to keep the motor at its optimum operating rpm.

As for a value, it is now obsolete so spares may be an issue if required. Guess it a case of what its worth to you Steve.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
it's the one i was most impressed with when i started turning, unfortunately they had gone out of production 1-2 years before i got started.

i was hoping that it would be £1200 max but i think it may be higher.

it's also down the road from me so it's worth a look.

i'm interested because it's longer than my 3520b.

spares should be available either through poolewood or silverdrive who i've read were actually the people who made it.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
I think if it were me I would check out the spares situation before buying. I was under the impression that Silverdrive had stopped making the lathes so I doubt if they would continue to carry stock. Poolewood don't even seem to carry spares for things they still sell so it's unlikely they would be able to help.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
would some sort of bed extension be more practical, even if you had one made it would be cheaper than a second machine?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »
Paul is right, Silverdrive went out of business about 7 years ago (or more), they apparently had difficulty in obtaining castings etc. from the Far East so I continue to hope that my Statesman 240 keeps going ad infinitude.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
I have the Euro 3000 and it still going strong and a dream to use :)

Even with Silverdrive out of business (not a great company to deal with) I wouldn't worry about spares as there is little that could go wrong apart from the bearing, motor and inverter. If it's an early model the inverters were IMO, possibly a Jaguar, and the company is still going as far as I am aware. The bearing is likely to be off the shelf and the motor 3 phase so repairable (?) The only other possible issue would be cracking in the castings.

Never heard of a torque problem with the 2000 and I've worked on many. More likely the issue was due to the inverter set up needing an adjustment.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
that's good to hear mark, i too have never heard anything going wrong on these things and i'm sure poolewood would be able to point me in the right direction if i did ever need a part.

i'm not sure if i'll buy it yet as i need to limit my budget to what i think i can get for the jet 3520b.

i was just hoping to hear what these lathes may be worth.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »
i've found a price at last. it's mentioned in this review on the euro 1000.
http://www.poolewood.co.uk/acatalog/Euro_1000_Test_Report_By___Mark_Baker__.html

the euro 2000 was £2,255 and it was printed in woodturning magazine Nov 2000.

does anyone know what a jet 3520b would fetch???

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »
I had a euro 2000 and it stopped working or something broke on countless occasions.
The engineering is incredibly crude, particularly how the motor joins to the shaft via a rubber coupler

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
sorry to hear of that. was that an early model or a later one?

i've made arrangements to view this one tonight as i need to be 100% sure that it will fit in my workshop.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
I had a euro 2000 and it stopped working or something broke on countless occasions.
The engineering is incredibly crude, particularly how the motor joins to the shaft via a rubber coupler

Later models did have problems as a result of Silverdrive, the manufacturer for Poolewood, reducing the specifications to cut costs. Poolewood were unaware of this at the time but it eventually led to the ending of their business relationship and the end of the Euro range. Silverdrive continued for a while with the Statesman range but that also ended.

Originally the headstock spindle was attached directly to the motor spindle. I don't know the reason for the change but the coupler was introduced soon after the launch of the Euros. I had this modification done to my Euro 3000 within a year of getting it and have never had a problem with it. I suspect the issues you had George were due to your having a later model when Silverdrive were cutting corners during the production.

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
tricky for me to date accurately, but it was about 1999/2000

I started turning in 1997 on a Clarke lathe, I had that for 2 to 3 years then had the euro 2000.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »
I had a Euro 2000 a while back and had about a couple of years good use out of it. I then sold it on and later found out that the motor had blown within a few months of it being sold.

Apart from that, I found the machine good and with variable speed, was just what I wanted at the time. Not sure I would advise anyone to get one at the moment without exercising extra care before buying.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »
if you google poolewood machinery,or poolewood,the chap that owned poolewood still does referbs,and buys old ones,he`s down in Kent somewhere now,if I remember rightly,he might be able to give advice on how much to sell it for,cheers,

Eric.

just looked him up,he`s near Sittingborne in Kent,phone number 01622884651
welcome to my woodturning world