General Category > General Discussion

Can't stick, won't stick

(1/3) > >>

BrianH:
I've just come indoors after 'buttering' my first project with resin....Thank you Marilyn Cambell and the seminar!
The wet overlay has now been left to cure ready for further work tomorrow BUT I am already totally confident that the cling film hasn't got anything like a good enough hold on to the timber for me to be able to turn the cured resin like Marilyn did.
Is there anyone out there with a working knowledge of Brit woodworking cling films? (Marilyn was using Canadian stuff!)
Are there good and bad species?
If so which are the good ones?
The stuff I used was, of course, nicked from HER cupboard and is.... don't tell her I said so..... almost certainly a cheapo. It is called 'Aromata' (a Lidl product) and the wood is sapwood walnut, if that makes a difference.
Any and all help would be gratefully received
Tarra for now
Brian

John D Smith:
Hi Brian,I am not sure but was it not a Waxed paper Marilyn used maybe baking parchment would do.Regards John

BrianH:
Thanks for the help John but I fear we are on differing wavelengths. The waxed paper was, I think, to stop the wet resin from sticking to the table etc whereas I am trying to build a resin overlay with a project-clingfilm-resin sandwich so I need the film to stick(temporarily) to both the wood and the hardening resin. ....I've just re-read that load of tosh and I reckon even I would be hard-pressed to understand it if I hadn't seen the demo ??? ???
All is not lost with 'Resinate number one', though, because I have decided that I'll be able to tape the hardened resin overlay to the project while I tidy its edges and then leave the rest of its surface in its natural state....I think.
Woodyturning is usually a relatively slow, steady rise through the various ever more adventurous techniques but Maralyn's opened a whole new direction for me....Aint it exciting, even when it doesn't quite work ;)
Tarra
Brian

John D Smith:
Hi Brian, Yes we are on a different wave length the demo I saw Marilyn do was the one where she cut a blank with shapes in and then used a resin to insert a different contrasting woods one of which was bought at the auction by George Foweraker who has since turned it as a collaboration piece.Regards John
The piece I mentioned above is on Georges Blog

Lionel Pringle:
Hi Brian,

If memory serves me right, and there is no guarantee of that, I think that Marilyn was using a film with an adhesive side to it. Having said that I have no idea where such a product could be obtained from, but it may help jog other contributors memories.
Cheers,

Lionel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version