Author Topic: The Experiment  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
The Experiment
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
Well I have managed to complete a experimental bowl with hopefully has the bubble look.

I believe it is maple and the inner bowl shows some quilting pattern. I have been wanting to get down to playing with different colouring techniques and this is one of them.

The bowl is 7" X 2"

C & C welcome

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: The Experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
I really, really like it, but I'm puzzled! The first two pictures make the bubbles look three dimensional, but the final picture seems to show a two-dimensional surface to the rim. The truth is, that however you did it, I like it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »
Like this a lot, not seen the colouring style before so like Les curious as to how it was done.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
Like Les, my first thought was you'd indented the timber, cut back to the depth of the indents and then steamed the bumps out, but it's a paint effect.

Very clever, you fooled me in the first two pictures.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:15:52 PM »
i concur with the three previous post but would like to add that the wood looks a little bit horse chestnuty to me.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:25:03 PM »
Thank you guys this was something I learnt from radio controlled cars(if you can work out the connection :D) when painting some of the effects on the cars.

A basic run through of how it is done.

The rim is sanded to 600grit and then a sander sealer is applied this helps stop bleeding of the stain, blue stain is applied to this. Once every thing is dry I took an eye dropper and dropped spots of water of different sizes and in a random pattern.
I used car automotive paint in the rattle cans one white and the other black.
Starting with the white and at a very low angle just slightly above horizontal I sprayed a very fine mist over the whole rim, changing to the black and rotating the bowl 180deg and repeat the same process as the white.

DO NOT tilt the bowl at any stage and also don't get too close when spraying the black and white paint otherwise the bubbles will move.

This now need to be left until the water has dried fully and another DO NOT touch anything as you still can smear the paint even though it is dry. Give it two or three light coats of varnish again from a spray can I found Acrylic gloss spray was great, this has now sealed every thing in.

Return the blank to clean up the outer edge from any over spray and turn the inner bowl.

Like Les, my first thought was you'd indented the timber, cut back to the depth of the indents and then steamed the bumps out, but it's a paint effect.

Very clever, you fooled me in the first two pictures.

I have tried that method but not with very good results. I found that you need wood that has a even grain pattern and a punch that you can control the depth with especially if you want a lot of even sized bumps

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »
Smart Derek

Thank you for the detail on how you achieved the effect it certainly works well

All the best

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 05:44:56 AM »
Hats-off to you, Derek, for bringing such a neat idea out of one application and in to another.....and thanks for sharing it.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:59:24 PM »

Derek you have certainly achieved your desired effect ... .. It certainly had us fooled until we looked at the last Pic.
  Nicely done and thank you for posting the info.
  Kind Regards
  Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Thank you all. It did turn out much better than I expected as it was the first time doing this now to try with some different colours and shaped bowls

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
A bit more practice with this technique and this is possible.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »
Thank you Martin that is a great piece of bubble work, love the colours. I did wonder about doing it on a curved surface did you use a spray bottle to get the bubbles at the start of the process
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:55:05 AM by Derek »

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
I use something like any bathroom of kitchen dispensing spray bottle and depending on how hard or soft you pull the trigger depends on the size of the droplets. The wood was stained and sealed then only black mist just above the horizontal I have never done it using white and black spray.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 04:49:35 PM »
I use something like any bathroom of kitchen dispensing spray bottle and depending on how hard or soft you pull the trigger depends on the size of the droplets. The wood was stained and sealed then only black mist just above the horizontal I have never done it using white and black spray.

Cheers Martin.

I did try something like that but the bubbles were not big enough for the look I was after. I certainly will try it as you have done as I was wondering if it could be accomplished on a vertical and curved surface without the water running off

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
  For the larger bubble effect I use an eye dropper after I have used the spray just dropping in larger bubbles sporadically. Curved surfaces can be done in sections with finished areas being masked off but you have to ensure fully dry or the masking can pull of the paint.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence