Author Topic: Decorated Elm Bowl  (Read 2681 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Decorated Elm Bowl
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »
Elm bowl textured rim with HMG decoration

Bowl is 13" x 4" (the raised image is not the foot just something to raise the piece so I could show the profile of the bowl.)

The Elm has been finished with Hampshire Sheen and the decoration was sprayed black and highlighted with silver gilt cream.

c & c's welcome as always

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Decorated Elm Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
Innovative as ever, Ed....I like the decoration around the side of the bowl, but not too keen on the top texture....lovely bit of elm!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
Personally I think the texturing would be better if it were framed with beads or coves. Can you get Hampshire Sheen in the UK? Only ever seen it used by american turners before. I assume the decoration on the side is hot glue? Whilst I like the innovitiveness but as a whole it isn't quite my taste. Perhaps too much decoration on ewhat is in itself a lovely wood?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »
Les I don't think that the texturing tool worked so well on the grain of the Elm, the bowl was decorated in this way as someone fell in love with the hollow form that I did like this and wanted a bowl.

Pete the Hampshire Sheen is made here in Hampshire, yours truly is now the stockist for it, and yes good old hot melt :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:06:01 AM »
....the Hampshire Sheen is made here in Hampshire, yours truly is now the stockist for it.....

I'm not aware of this finish, Ed.....what sort of finish is it and what's its advantage over other, similar finishes?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
Hi Les

It's a blend of danish oil, carnauba wax and microcrystalline wax. It's applied over a coat of sanding sealer which is knocked back with a fine wire wool or nyweb pad.

It does a pretty good job but I've found that it come up as a better finish with a second coat.

I think as a finish it comes in to the world of the buffing wheel type finish but is simply applied by a cloth.

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Ed,

good to see you come back to the HMG decoration as an effect. I like this, not so much HMG as previous but certainly effective enough for the term 'less is more' to apply, and it balances against the spiral decoration on the rim well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
Thanks Bryan

I'm planing on do a lot more with the HMG I like the effect that it gives and I think with a bit of work I could produce something special

All the best

Ed