Author Topic: Spalted beech bowl  (Read 2105 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Spalted beech bowl
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
A rather lovely piece of wood I found in the log store.  Must have been cut in 2010 when we had the copper beech trimmed and stored away since then, mainly in the dry but sitting on a bed of leaves and earth.  About 9" diameter.  C&C welcome.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Spalted beech bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:14:40 PM »
A nice piece of timber and a good, clean shape. My only concern is the imbalance of the rings on the rim; I feel it would have looked a bit more balanced if the spaces were all the same instead of having the large space on the outside.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
Chris, an attractive bowl but I'm concerned that you turned the blank upside-down.

If you look at the spalting it's only really on either side of the rim, if you'd turned the blank the other way up, there would be more of it visible across the inner portion of the bowl. It's counter-intuitive to do this but works better, giving more of the pattern of the grain or spalting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
Thanks guys.

Les, I see what you mean.....this is a detail I've done before and has generally worked well, but on this bowl the rim is narrower that others I've done it on which I think is why perhaps it doesn't look quite right.  Food for thought.

Bryan - Stop it  ;D  OK, I messed up.....I decided which way round to turn it and then proceeded to screw the faceplate to the wrong side and turn it the wrong way round.  You weren't supposed to notice...... :o :o

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »
Ooop's, Sorry :D :D :D

But we've all done it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!