Author Topic: VERY Spalted Ash !!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
VERY Spalted Ash !!
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
A recently completed H/F in a piece of very spalted Ash , about 10" tall ,  the spalting is  in a very advanced state in some areas , showing the black zone lines raised above the surrounding softer wood , next to smooth , sound areas of wood , it was just a "feasibility  study " really just to see if anything nice could be made from such a decayed piece of wood , needless to say it is quite a fragile piece and took great care to turn , especially the hollowing ....I am pleased with the result , but not planning another just yet ...Terry ..

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: VERY Spalted Ash !!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »
A close up of the spalting

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Nothing like a challenge and I think with a great deal of success in this case. Well worth the time and effort

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »
Twig,

I've seen Spalted timber, that's not spalted, that's rotten! How did you ever manage to get a smooth finish on it?

Whatever you did, you made a damn fine job of it.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »
Hats off to you....hollow forms can often be left a little 'raw' on the inside, but when there's voids as big as this, the condition of the inside becomes rather more important. A great piece of wood which oozes character.

Les.

p.s. ... it would really help if you could get the picture sizing sorted!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »

p.s. ... it would really help if you could get the picture sizing sorted!
[/quote]                                                                                                              I am not the only one who finds this site pretty awkward with regards posting pictures , not sure why but other sites ( non turning ) I have no problems with .                                         I am glad that some of you like it anyway !!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »
nice rewarding piece Terry,love the close up,its great when you can turn a piece this rotten without it exploding and get such a good result,as to the sizing,I always reduce mine through picasa 3  to 800  pixels size,then I don`t have any problems here,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:17 AM »
I suppose it's unnecessary to say that I love this? Only thing I don't like is that it was you making it not me lol. When I get pieces ascragileas this I bind them asecurely with trade cling film tape before doing the inside. I know some people have suggested duct tape but with woods like this it can rip lumps out when you remove it. Lovely work

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »
This is a great one Terry, what have you used to remove the punky wood around the splating lines?
I do this with a wire cup wheel on an angle grinder - seems to work better that a slower wire wheel in a drill, but does cause scorching if not done carefully.
Tom

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
Cheers Tom , Yes I use  a wire brush , but this time in a drill , I think the angle grinder would be a bit too aggressive !!  I also used a stiff plastic brush as well , I then sprayed the soft bits with acrylic sanding sealer and gave a quick brush after this so the surface looked natural rather than plastic , the fluid soaked in enough to consolidate the soft wood .  The remaining areas I sanded and finished as normal ........Terry ..