Author Topic: Round & Brown  (Read 3040 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Round & Brown
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »
Natural edge Oak Burr 140mm tall x 180mm diameter, the wall is 20mm this left thick so I kept the knobbly bark bit.

Finished with Chestnut Lemon Oil for a natural looking piece.

C & C's welcome as always

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Re: Round & Brown
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »
What a beautiful gnarly old lump!  Love it.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
 Nice one  Ed , A classic, natural, organic piece , just what I like to see done with an old gnarly rough bit of Oak  . Personally I very rarely do enclosed bowl forms as I find it  awkward to get a good tool finish on the interior which results in more sanding than I can be bothered with !.... Did you use gouges or scrapers for this ?  .. Terry

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
Terry a Simon Hope hollowing tool and my new Kelton multi angle scraper did not take much sanding at all which was lucky as I did not want to put my hand in it :)

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »
What a beautiful gnarly old lump!  Love it.
...is that Ed, or his bowl?

Love it Ed....bags of character.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
For sanding things like tis get yourself a wire coat hanger and double it up twisting it into a suitable length and make a handle for it. You can then get some sticky back velcro on the end for udsing velcro backed abrasive and bend the wire to fit into whatever shape you need to access the wood. If it does happen to catch it is just a case of swithching off and retrieving nd because it is lught weight and flexible you can use it safely on hollow forms as well as pieces like this. If needed I'll see if I can get a photo of mine up tomorrow.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
Like to see a picture Pete I use sanding sticks and Simon Hope Pro Sanders always handy to had another sanding device.

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »
I do know HOW to sand these sort of pieces..  lol !, I just do not LIKE doing them as I feel it is more work / effort than I am prepared to do ( except on rare  occasions )  , especially with a natural edge ....I like to see them but am happy for others to do such pieces ..This is one reason I mostly do hollow forms as there is only the outside to sand , and I do most of that with power tools ..

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 06:44:43 PM »
Terry a Simon Hope hollowing tool and my new Kelton multi angle scraper did not take much sanding at all which was lucky as I did not want to put my hand in it :)

Ed
I thought this might of been how you done this one ( I would also ) you have done well to get a good finish from a scraper on such wild , multi-directional grain , good stuff !!  I have seen such pieces done with a gouge  ( ellsworth grind ) in one sweep , I just have not bothered trying , something I might do when I have spare time !!  Terry ...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:47:35 PM by TWiG »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Even keeping it slightly thicker I think you did well to keep the knobbly bark bit on. When looking at it from the other angles, there is not an awful lot of wood there at all.

I've been contemplating investing in the Hope system, if you keep posting things like this, I'll soon have to.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 12:41:37 PM »

Nice one Ed..... You have certainly captured the essence of the wood with this piece like it.
               Kind Regards
               Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/