General Category > General Discussion

End grain sealing

(1/2) > >>

Alan Fordham:
What product is reccomended for sealing the end grain of green wood to prevent splitting ?

John D Smith:
Hi Alan, I have used Paraffin Wax but this involves melting the blocks down then dipping the ends of the wood into the molten liquid in up to about 4 inches. The problem with this is the melting down I do mine outside using a camping stove and an old paint kettle.
I think most people use PVA Glue.Regards John

Dave Atkinson:
Hi Alan

I use PVA

Cheers Dave

Tim Pettigrew:
Like Dave, I have also used undiluted builders PVA for several years now (very cheap about 10.50 GBP for 5 litre container) and have found it to be very effective.

Tim

Andy Coates:
PVA as well...when I can be bothered at all. In truth I rarely end seal anything and find I have very few problems with the staple species I use...sycamore, ash, beech Etc. I try and obtain all wood in long section and accept some end loss due to splitting and everything goes along just fine. The worst thing is to store your logs in a poor way. Try to keep them out of direct sunlight, away from the ground and damp, but ensure you have air flow around them.

Logs under 4" will eventually dry to anything from 10% to 15%, larger logs will never actually "dry" in the sense of seasoning, and even then you can still expect movement when you eventually cut into them, this is largely due to stress relief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version