Author Topic: Opinions?  (Read 6577 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
Hi All

I post sometimes to share work that I've completed, if I think that the wood is special. A lot of the time now days I post something that I'm playing around with to get some feedback many eyes and all that.

I don't think that I would change the work that I'm doing because people don't like it, if I like it that good enough for me, but if there a real design fault or if a piece looks odd for some reason that I hadn't noticed I'll happily take that feedback on board.

A lot of the time I leave feedback only because if someone's taken the time to post it can be a bit disheartening if no one post some sort of comment.

All the best

Ed 

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
One thing I have learned is that if I think something is really bad and I just do not like it I don't comment.
George,
I think I know where you are coming from, but I also think that sometimes the honest opinion of somebody makes a living (at least in part) from turning items for sale in galleries you have an extremely valid view, and that is always of interest. I know I have been the recipient of some of your harsher comments, and that's fine by me. It does not deter me from developing my own style, or working to improve my skills.

In my opinion, this is not a forum where people should go if they want to be pampered. If you come here, you should be prepared to take it on the chin.

I always appreciate all comments, especially the ones that others might find disagreeable, partly because that is where proper conversations/debates start and partly because I won't develop as a wood turner if all I ever get is another "Oh, that's nice". I personally feel that I have come a long way since I first picked up a turning tool (GBF and others, feel free to disagree) and this forum has certainly plaid a big part in this journey.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
I've never been worried by other peoples comments, whether they are extolling my work or if they are less than flattering. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, the rule is to listen to more than one and average out the critiques.

The one thing that makes this forum more than the others I've seen on woodturning is the honesty. Too often a posting goes up and everybody coo's and ahh's over it, and it's awful.

I feel here I can get a true reflection of the work I post (yes, I know, i don't post enough), that the members who want to speak up will do so truthfully and I can in return be honest, although sometimes I admit I do couch my words.

The only thing I don't like is when someone posts something and no-one says anything, that is rude and uncalled for. They have put up a piece of their work, offered it to us for honest reflection and - nothing.

Just think how you'd feel if that was done to you, or has it?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »

The only thing I don't like is when someone posts something and no-one says anything, that is rude and uncalled for. They have put up a piece of their work, offered it to us for honest reflection and - nothing.

Just think how you'd feel if that was done to you, or has it?
It has happened yes, more on other forums I admit. I am probably as guilty as anyone for not posting enough in response to peoples asking foir critique and usually it is because I often don't really have an opinion as the piece is not my personal taste. Wrong of me perhaps

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
As a newbie, and a part time newbie at that, I don’t feel that I have the knowledge or experience to make observations about other people’s work....
...but you know what you like, Dancie, and that makes your opinion valid. After all is said and done, those of us selling our work, sell a fair proportion of it to members of the public who buy it simply because they know what they like!

Les

my thoughts also - i see alot i like which i do post a reply on but also items i am not keen on - however i an not expert enough to make comments as i couldnt turn the items myself.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
If you are a relatively new turner then I can see that you would be hesitant to pass comment on someones skill level but with regards to design, and so on anyones opinion is valid. Also the length of time that you have been turning is no indication of skill or ability. Believe me there are Some of the turners on here who are perhaps seen as 'expert' have been turning for just a couple of years.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
. Also the length of time that you have been turning is no indication of skill or ability. Believe me there are Some of the turners on here who are perhaps seen as 'expert' have been turning for just a couple of years. pete

And some that have been turning for years and still cant do it well.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
As a newbie, and a part time newbie at that, I don’t feel that I have the knowledge or experience to make observations about other people’s work....
...but you know what you like, Dancie, and that makes your opinion valid. After all is said and done, those of us selling our work, sell a fair proportion of it to members of the public who buy it simply because they know what they like!

Les

Hi All, like Dancie I am relatively new to this forum and although I've been turning for a little over ten years (on and off) I still regard myself as a learner and as such feel awkward or unqualified to critique other, more experienced turners work. Yes I have an opinion but normally at a level of overall shape rather than the intricacies of a perfect finial. I do have a problem with coloured work as I took up turning to admire the beauty found within wood, however I also admire the craftsmanship that goes into such items.
I guess being a 'watcher' for nearly a year now who visits the forum most days to get inspiration, I need to come out of my shell and share my thoughts more often.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank all those who do contribute by posting their work and I will try to be more active on the forum ................. promise !  ;D
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
however i an not expert enough to make comments as i couldnt turn the items myself.

Steve,

you don't have to comment, you can also ask the turner how they did something, I often see things I cannot see how they were turned or decorated and always ask, it is the only way to learn.

And we are a helpful bunch, we do tell others how we do things.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:49 PM »
Lazurus, Its not really about qualifications and I like to think on forums like this there are no dumb questions.
Also your lack of turning experience will cause to see things from a different perspective and thats good for all of us. Plus you have life experience, often this experience is a wealth of untapped knowledge and information.
So fire away anyway :) OK some folk wont agree with you, thats normal, a lot of folks dont agree with a lot of us. ;D

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »

One thing I have learned is that if I think something is really bad and I just do not like it I don't comment.

Regards George
Has your account been hacked George, you always say how you feel and I like that.
I think if you post you must accept peoples opinions but it is helpful if someone doesn't like something they make a suggestion on how they would like it improved.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »
Steve,

you don't have to comment, you can also ask the turner how they did something, I often see things I cannot see how they were turned or decorated and always ask, it is the only way to learn.

And we are a helpful bunch, we do tell others how we do things.

i do often ask about finishes or chucking methods,  the one thing i also ask which seems to get ignored is that pictures of the before lump of timber can be shown, i have had alot of great advice on here via post and pm. which i appreciate. steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?