Author Topic: Metalica  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Metalica
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
 Not posted on here for a while. This one eventualy was given the name Matelica and was turned and completed on the 9th May.

Another experiment with colour done using ebonising spray and Jo Sonja paints.

This is something totally different for me but I am still playing with colour and texture.

This is 7 1/4” tall and 3 1/2” at it’s widest and made from Holly

I have tried to photograph this all the way round to show the different hues in the colours

C & C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Metalica
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »
I apreciate the skillin the turning ets and also the colouring really does appeal just I suppose I am a philistine and the question 'where's the wood' keeps going through my mind. Lovely piece, beautiful work, just not my personal taste.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
Derick,

I see a seed pod, coloured by the autumn, opened in the sun and finally dropped off the plant.

However, I'd not want to peek in, there might be a face-hugger hiding in there!

Pete,

I had a similar discussion some years ago over a piece Mark Sanger posted. I had to learn that sometimes the timber is just the hanger for the art. You don't look at a vase and think 'where's the ceramic', you don't look at the Mona Lisa and think where's the wood (it is painted on a board not canvas).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
I apreciate the skillin the turning ets and also the colouring really does appeal just I suppose I am a philistine and the question 'where's the wood' keeps going through my mind. Lovely piece, beautiful work, just not my personal taste.

pete
Hi Pete...there's no right and wrong about this, and my feelings used to match yours exactly, but then I asked myself this....If a potter made this piece, would I ask 'Where's the clay? I want to see some clay!' Likewise, if a metalworker hammered and raised this shape, would I ask, 'Where's the metal? I want to see some metal! I guess that as we are primarily woodturners, those of us who want to experiment with colour use wood as a foundation. It's not for me, as I like to see at least some of the wood, but I can understand anyone wanting to do this sort of work.

Derek....I really like the colours and appreciate the work that's gone into it but, as I said above, it's not a field of wood turning that I'd choose to pursue.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:52 PM »
I can understand where Pete and Les are coming from, but I see this differently. This is where some of us take a departure from woodturning per se and ventur forth into the world of applied or fine art. I love it, every single part of it. Magnificent! Well done!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »

First impression when first viewed was of  Heated Metal..... Like this Derek ... a great blend of colours you have
        achieved there nice one.
        Kind Regards Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.

I can understand peoples views on not being able to see at least some of the wood and at the same time I agree that a ceramic pot would not have the clay showing.

At first I use to believe that wood should be seen but as I have progressed in my turning my views have changed.

I still think that a nice piece of wood with an interesting grain should not be covered to the point of not being able to see the beauty of the wood. This piece was made of a plain piece of Holly so decided to cover it completely.

I am still experimenting with colour and texture but also turning items showing the grain, like a simple bowl I have just completed from Ash not yet photographed

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »
Hi Derek, I like this. As you might know I am an advocate of colouring, it's not to everyone's taste and I fully respect others tastes. I agree that a beautiful piece of wood, whether it's figured/burry etc should on the most part be left as natural as possible but there are times when it can enhance that beauty as well. But when you have a plain old piece with no character then it acts as a perfect canvas for a bit of arty farty colouring/texturing.
With this piece you have worked it well.

Very well done,

Best regards

Gary

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »
Thank you Gary. I took this to the club meeting on Saturday and got a first in the "Enhanced section"

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
Thank you Gary. I took this to the club meeting on Saturday and got a first in the "Enhanced section"
I am not surprised. It is a beautiful piece, and it definitely shows what can be done with an otherwise very boring piece of wood. BTW, I am not a fan of people who call this sort of thing "arty farty". To me, this displays a condescension towards the arts, almost as if to say "well, these artists they don't really know what they're doing, but us crafters, that's the real thing". I think people who venture forth need to be encouraged and not belittled.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:09:19 AM »
Well done Derek glad to hear that you took the first in the enhance section :)

Well I think that you already know I like this piece, sorry I was not at the club to see it in the flesh..

The debate about hiding the wood will carry on for many years to come, but adding art to our woodturning opens up new markets and I am seeing more people getting interested in woodturning so it can't be a bad thing can it :)

All the best

Ed