Author Topic: Ash Hollow Form & plinth  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
Ash Hollow Form & plinth
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:41:43 PM »
Hi all, not been on in a while (busy at work, :( ) so here is a wee hollow for in Ash done tonight, ebonised and slightly textured, sat on an elm plinth that has been coloured with Jo Sonja paints. Plinth still requires a bit of shine added as it's just got sealer on just now.

C&C's always welcome as usual.

Best Rgds

Gary

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Ash Hollow Form & plinth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
Hi Gary

I think you have got it wrong the hollow form should be coloured and the plinth plain

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
I'm afraid that it doesn't work for me. I don't like the ebonising on the HF, although the shape looks fine, but mainly, the visual impact of the plinth is so strong that the HF is just lost.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:41:19 AM »
Have to agree with George and Les. Nothing wrong with the form or the plinth, just not together. Needs to be a stronger contrast to highlight the other and the form should (IMHO) be the main focal point.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:21:35 AM »
Many thanks for the comments George, Les and Pete. The plinth was an afterthought to kill some time. I agree that the colours on the plinth detract the view of the form which should be the main focal point. Wanted to try a slightly different view, ok it never worked, not to worry I had fun doing it. Probably why I'm still a " Fred in a shed" and not hot the high time yet lol, thanks again for the criticism it is taken on board and respected.

Rgds

Gary

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:13:04 AM »
Probably why I'm still a " Fred in a shed" and not hot the high time yet lol,

Rgds

Gary

You think those of us who do these type of things haven't got a shelf full of ones that didn't work LOL? The plinth and form are fine, They will be perfect with another piece or plinth. Remember that turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

pete
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:09:12 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »
  Really like the Hollow Form Gary.....The Ebonizing ..Texturing and Finish sets the wood off very well and the natural lip on
  the top sits well with the Piece... Yes the plinth is questionable , but we find using plinths don`t always gel. Perhaps a plain
  light/white plinth that does not detract the eye so much from the excellent H/F......... BUT as with Ed`s Oak  Piece`
  If nothing different is tried.. nothing different will be achieved.
  Kind Regards
  Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:08:23 PM »
Probably why I'm still a " Fred in a shed" and not hot the high time yet lol,

Rgds

Gary

You think those of us who do these type of things haven't got a shelf full of ones that didn't work LOL? The plinth and form are fine, They will be perfect with another piece or plinth. Remember that turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

pete
Ha Ha Pete, yes I have a few others myself that didn't quite work, and I'm sure I'll have some more too. I totally agree with all the comments (not criticism as stated before, lol rushed at work :) ) mentioned earlier. I tend to have this impatient side and possibly should sit and look at what I make first before posting, lol

best Regards

Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »
  Really like the Hollow Form Gary.....The Ebonizing ..Texturing and Finish sets the wood off very well and the natural lip on
  the top sits well with the Piece... Yes the plinth is questionable , but we find using plinths don`t always gel. Perhaps a plain
  light/white plinth that does not detract the eye so much from the excellent H/F......... BUT as with Ed`s Oak  Piece`
  If nothing different is tried.. nothing different will be achieved.
  Kind Regards
  Tony & Di
Many thanks Tony and Di, I totally agree with your comments, I am all for trying different things and yes, unfortunately they don't always work. I agree with all the comments said by yourselves and others, yes they don't gel together, yes they would work better (hopefully) the other way around and perhaps with something else.

First time with a plinth I think for me (crashed and burned, lol). At least I had fun playing.

Best Regards

Gary

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
Well Gary I said it FB and will say it again I really like the hollow form

I thought it was displayed on a plain base on FB

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
I can see the issue with the base being a greater effect than the hollow-form, and I know it's all about the Hollow-form, that's what you turned, but the hollow-form can be moved to another base.

The base works for me, as a base, but needs something far brighter on it, something with a lot of gilding or bright, light colours. Don't throw it away, try something different with it. It will work with something eventually.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
Well Gary I said it FB and will say it again I really like the hollow form

I thought it was displayed on a plain base on FB

All the best

Ed
Cheers Ed, FB had the plain base AND the coloured one (after I painted it, lol)

Rgds

Gary

Offline Gary Lowe

• gold
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
I can see the issue with the base being a greater effect than the hollow-form, and I know it's all about the Hollow-form, that's what you turned, but the hollow-form can be moved to another base.

The base works for me, as a base, but needs something far brighter on it, something with a lot of gilding or bright, light colours. Don't throw it away, try something different with it. It will work with something eventually.

Many thanks Brian, I'm a frugal Scotsman so nothing gets thrown away, lol.  I will try it out on a few things in the future.

Best Regards

Gary