Author Topic: No Name Yet  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
No Name Yet
« on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »
This piece has not got a name but just something I have been playing with. Made from tulip wood for the leaves and The bowl I believe is ABW.

C & C welcome

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: No Name Yet
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
You've made a smashing job of the post work carving on the leaves and the colouring really works.

I've got no idea what you might call it, I sort of see a Water Lilly but the cup is not a bright colour, if its not connected, could you try something white or yellow?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:09:02 PM »
Looks a great finish Derek

No idea what you could call it.

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
Really like this - except....I love the leaves, very effective and beautifully done.  I like the bowl, lovely shape and well finished.  I just don't see a connection between the two, which makes the whole a little odd for me.  Having said that, very clearly a high level of skill and creativity here, impressive.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 12:58:15 PM »
Thank you all.

You've made a smashing job of the post work carving on the leaves and the colouring really works.

I've got no idea what you might call it, I sort of see a Water Lilly but the cup is not a bright colour, if its not connected, could you try something white or yellow?

I was in two minds about colouring the top bowl but I wanted to show some wood. I will not tell the wife what you said as I will get those famous words that only a woman can say "I told you so" ;D

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:36:18 PM »

The leaves  /  lily pads  look great but unfortunately the bowl does not seem to Gel for us Derek..... The concept
      is Really  Really   Good.. perhaps a lot shallower dish coming into a more closed form in a different colour or lighter wood
      might bring it all together
      that though is only a thought  and as always its down to personal choice.
      Regards di & Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »
It's a fine little bowl and you've done an absolutely amazing job of the leaves, but for me, they just don't belong together.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »
Hi Derek.

I was lucky to view this piece today when I attended Garden Of England woodturners. Not only is it very well turned and finished but the colouring is fantastic and well deserving the first place you received in he club competition. It was obvious to me that you had put a great deal of time and consideration into this piece. Well done indeed.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »
Thank you all for the comments. After all that is why I show pieces and enter the club competitions so that any points and criticism are taken on board and hopefully learnt from.

Thank you Mark and it was a pleasure to meet and talk even though briefly, a great demo and something for everyone