Author Topic: Getting (rid of) the Vibe  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Grethron

• iron
Getting (rid of) the Vibe
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:44:34 PM »
I don't have a massive amount of ready cash to spend on my new hobby. I picked up my Arundel lathe for £40 and apart from a few quid on wax, Danish Oil and sandpaper I've been relying on scavenged items, donations, freebies and stuff wot I can make. This sob story does have a point and here it is.
I was turning the largest blank I could mount on the lathe today, so big it only just cleared the bed. There's no way I can afford a scroll chuck so I was mounted on a faceplate with a glue block. As this setup ended up fairly large, I ended up quite far away from the headstock so the whole thing was shaking quite badly if I so much as breathed. I couldn't get the tailstock in because the toolrest was in the way and wouldn't fit under the blank.

So the question is, how do I stop it vibrating? I've made a mess of the bowl as it's got some quite deep gouges in. BTW I tried sharpening my gouges (that's all I've got till Santa brings me a set of chisels - fingers crossed) Tried using light cuts but it made no difference.

Cheers, Gav.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Getting (rid of) the Vibe
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
Where do you live

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 07:31:42 PM »
Herne Bay in Kent

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
have you tried turning smaller things on the lathe? if so did they turn true??

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
Herne Bay in Kent

If you had been local to Somerset I would have tried to help.
This is the reason why members should let us all know where they live we just might be able to help each other

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »
Hi Gav,
I would strongly recommend tracking down a local woodturning club, here you should find a valuable source of free advice and maybe a volunteer to check out your lathe setup, tools etc.

Sorry to be blunt but just starting out as you are, attaching the largest blank you can on your lathe is foolhardy...I'd strongly recommend you gear it back. Start small, get to grips with using your tools and lathe safely and develop from there. I'd hate for you to pick up an injury at this early stage through being over ambitious. It's a great hobby but one you need to grow into.

Keep safe while you keep learning.

Cheers
Rick

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
have you tried turning smaller things on the lathe? if so did they turn true??

Sure did, my good sir.

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

attaching the largest blank you can on your lathe is foolhardy...

Yarp, I've done a lot of smaller stuff, started with spindle turnings between centres and a number of smaller bowls from egg cup to teacup size. Not one for foolhardiness but thanks anyway.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
Grethron, I echo the words of advice that have been spoken already. With regards to your large bowl blank, some of the vibration could be down to the timber itself being heavier oneside than it is the other. This can occur through many reasons, stored on end, knots, bad drying etc but you should be able to turn it at low speed. Look at your gouge and ensure it is sharp (no fooling yourself now mind).Look at the clubs list on this site and join a club, that will give you the next best value for money short of one on one lessons with a professional turner.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
Is the lathe secured to the floor / bench, as already stated there can be inherent weight differences in the blank itself. Lyle JAMIESON has a video on you tube regarding starting between centers and getting a balance point for the blank then how to set up for a glue block, it is a good technique I have used a lot.

Even with my huge, heavy VB36 vibrations do occur, its finding the cause and cutting it down to a minimum. Speed is also a factor I have had vibrations at low speeds and they even out on a higher setting, just be safe when playing with the speeds, and above all enjoy yourself, if you make an error (design opportunity) remember wood does grow on trees.

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
All of what has been said, holds.
I am not sure why you need a glue block in addition to a faceplate, that just adds to the problem (i.e. not enough space to have the tailstock up). However, even with the tailstock up, there will be vibrations if your piece is unbalanced. Use the lowest speed setting, then increase until vibrations start. As Lazurus says, generally there is another speed setting just slightly higher where vibrations reduce again (it's do with resonance frequencies), but you may not be able to find that setting if you don't have variable speed (and I doubt you do on a £40 Arundel lathe).
Patience is called for on such pieces, and sharp tools and good technique. If you struggle with sharpening your tools, you probably should get advice/instruction from a more experienced turner first before going any further.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
Dont forget to give the state of the bearings a thought. With your faceplate attached...or any other fitting you can get a good grip of... try and rock it from side to side in several places around the circumference. If you can feel movement you have found a possible cause for your problems.
 I would also offer the opinion that just because a lathe is large enough to accomodate your chosen piece of timber doesnt mean the bearings are up to supporting it as it turns, especially on a lathe from the cheaper end of the market and/or one which has already had an unknown life and amounts of (mis)treatment in the past.
All the best
Brian

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
sounds a bit like this one is simply down to mass.

the lathe does not have enough mass to stop the centrifugal forces of the blank at the speed it is rotating. every lathe will have it's limit and it seems as though you have found yours...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:53 AM »
Hi Gav

I belong to the Garden of England Woodturners which meets a Dunkirk Village Hall if you contact Terry Rand you can find his details here http://www.gardenofenglandwoodturners.org/membership.pdf that your nearest club.

He and a few other members live in and around Herne Bay.

Regards

Ed

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Fanx to all for the advice, I'll take it all into consideration and keep on practicing.

Cheers, Gav.