Author Topic: Boring wood....  (Read 1780 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Boring wood....
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
We took down a pear tree about a year ago.  I turned a couple of pieces from it but it was very boring....plain with no features at all.  The log got left in the courtyard woodpile.  Last week I was having fun with the chainsaw and decided to cut it up.  Seems it had thought long and hard about its dullness and done what it could to improve.  Looking forward to getting stuck into the rest, including the rather large stump.

I say pear.....I'm fairly certain it is.....it came out of a small stand of trees that all came down together.  Mostly elder and damson but there was definitely a pear of some sort in there and I'm pretty sure this was it.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Boring wood....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
It certainly look better now , I also like the design , Looks like a thin wall bowl inside another bowl , Nice

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »
Time and patience, the cure for most things and its worked in this case.

Not 100% sure about the top rim. I like the Bowl in Bowl look but the down slope of the rim inward, just seems a little out of keeping with the otherwise great curve of the bowl.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »

You have dropped very lucky there Chris ,an unusual bit of spalting  caught just in time. The double
         bowl effect setting  it off very well.
        Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Thanks Wood spinner, pleased you like it.

Thank Bryan - the patience bit doesn't come easy but even my wife has commented that I've become much more patient since starting turning!  Mind you, she's becoming less patient with the trail of shavings that follows me through the house  :o

Tony & Di - thank, hopefully there'll be lots more of this to come including some very funky looking bits from the lower trunk and stump that are both large and......convoluted.... ;D ;D