Author Topic: Rates of spalting...  (Read 1618 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Rates of spalting...
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
Had an interesting experience/lesson in spalting/rotting timescales this last week.  Two trees, one a silver birch, one a pear.  The birch came down 6 months ago, the pear 12 months ago.  I had turned a bit from each when fresh and then left the rest in long lengths to 'season'.  Came to process them last week.  The pear is excellent....still firm, slightly wet still, cuts and finishes beautifully and has some lovely colour and spalt.  The birch is a bitch!  Some nice spalting but very dry and loose and the end grain tears very easily.  The side grain cuts well and finishes well, but the end grain.... >:( >:(

Thing is I don't necessarily want to process new stuff immediately, especially the plainer woods.  I like the character and interest that the spalting process beings and I like to turn at least a little green.  I also have a lot of wood and don't turn a massive amount.  Outside storage is plentiful, inside is limited (for now at least). 

Probably old news to most of you but was a salutary lesson for me.....the birch is going to be very time consuming to do much with, which is a shame as I really like it.  I guess in future a little more attention to how things are going.

Oh the joys!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Rates of spalting...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
Whether intentionally or not, you worked with two timbers which are at quite opposite ends of the 'workability' scale, when they start to spalt. Birch is renowned for its ability to turn from workable wood into mush in  a matter of just a few weeks, you really do have to keep your eye on  it. On the other hand, pear is such a slow growing timber that its cell structure makes it much more resilient against fungal attack and degradation.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
I'm no expert on different fungal effects.

The thing we call Spalting with the dramatic dark lines is just one of type of fungus. I've had timber that had spent several years in a firewood pile with the finest filigree lines of spalting in it. I personally think of these two as Wet and Dry spalting (bound to be totally wrong).

In America you can certainly buy fungal spores which will create different colours as it infects the wood. I found details about this from an American University study, available on-line, very interesting.but of course we cannot import them.

Here in the UK you can by Mushroom plugs (https://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/)to knock into fresh cut timber, to grow edible mushrooms from. I've never tried it but the mycelium must affect the wood for colour or spalt lines of some sort.

There are many bracket Fungi that affect growing trees in many ways, Beefsteak Fungus turns Oak into Brown Oak. You mention Birch, they can be affected by the birch Polypore or Horse-hoof (or tinder) fungus, it might be that your tree was infected prior to you cutting it and hence it turned at an accelerated rate.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:13:34 PM »
Birch starts to spalt / rot as soon as it hits the ground!