Author Topic: Spiral mini-bowls  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
Spiral mini-bowls
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:36:27 PM »
During the summer I became fascinated by spiral forms and started to explore off-centre turning to display some of the better known spiral formulae in bowl form. These 2 were early pieces and are based on the same Fibonacci spiral (golden spiral). Both are in sycamore with a classical bowl shape.
The chucking points (centre of the mini bowl) are on the same arc (spiral) in both pieces but the diameters of the mini bowls decrease from outside to centre in the gilded piece and vice versa in the plain blue piece.
Both pieces are 130mm diameter and 35mm tall.
Offset turning was by MDF backplate on a VB36 and did not need counterbalance.

I have explored more complex forms and will post in a while
C&C always welcome
Nick
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:45:42 AM by Nick Simpson »
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Spiral mini-bowls
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:33:21 PM »
Interesting idea and certainly one that is diferent to the usual off centre turning. Look forward to seeing your other 'more complex' pieces.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:38:10 PM »
Thank you Pete for taking the trouble to reply.
I shall think about posting further pieces on this forum.
I posted in the hope that members of the AWGB (promoted as the UK's foremost teaching and learning organisation) might comment positively or suggest flaws in form and colour of what I have been led to believe is an unique approach.
Regards to you
Nick

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:44:51 AM »
Hi Nick

Like the idea and I think that the plain blue piece looks much better than the gilded piece.

The edge line of the mini bowls looks far crisper on the plain blue.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
Hi Nick

... I think that the plain blue piece looks much better than the gilded piece...
The same here....I also feel that the mini-bowls form a much nicer curve on this piece than on the gilded piece.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
I like the concept , The form looks good , much prefer the unguilded piece
Nice
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:34:22 AM by Wood spinner »

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »

We have found through our own past experience posting unusual /out of box pieces can take us and others quite a while
    to evaluate and decide. This can be seen by the number of views, people are coming back to look more than once.
    For us the 1st.. Dark / Plain bowl is very Crisp and Clean and very pleasing to our eye with the spiral effect.
    The 2nd one for us is not so crisp and clean.
    Kind Regards Tony & Di

Nick....  that`s  paint..  :o :o :o :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
I agree with the comments above. Neat idea though and look forward to seeing how this concept developers. Malcolm.

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
Thank you for all this helpful comment which revolves around preference for the plain mini-bowls because the edges are more sharp. The gilded bowls were initially (photo 2) coloured by Jo Sonja gold paint and in the last photo were gilded with fake gold leaf. The gilding was an attempt to sharpen up the edges but due to my very poor 1st go at gold leaf made it worse!
However, that particular spiral with enlarging mini-bowls centrifugally simply looks ugly to me against a circular background. A subsequent piece with this pattern on a rectangular background looks much better --Aha a later post!
Tony & Di spotted the heresy of using paint ::)...not a favourite medium to me. I tried using stain...........
but could not get the crisp edge due to stain creep along the grain  This was very much a test piece to see if my offset system would work and taught me 2 important points: 1. Green is a horrible background on sycamore, and 2. Mathematical spiral forms cannot be guessed freehand. I settled for the Dark blue / plain sycamore combination for further pieces because it looks good on ceramics (Wedgwood for example). The Fibonacci spiral is an expansion based on the 'golden ratio' of phi and probably does not fit particularly well on a circular background., but I was pleased with bowl in the 1st photo.
Ramblings................sorry. but thank you for the comments
Regards
Nick

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
As much as I like the plain dark first image, they spirals in the first 2 platter lose themselves as the turned hollows get bigger and they lose their way for me.

Having said that the last posting of the Green platter and the much wider spaced hollows does work.

Wondering if there is any way the hollows can be connected to show the evolution of the spiral.

Still a very interesting concept, well executed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!