Author Topic: How Wet Is Too Wet?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Grethron

• iron
How Wet Is Too Wet?
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »
Hello you lovely people.

I hear a lot about greenwood turning but how green can you actually turn?
Can I hack a chunk off a live tree and start or will it just split and fall in bits?

Cheers, Gav.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: How Wet Is Too Wet?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
The short and simple answer is, 'YES', you can turn green wood straight off the tree.
However...this is a massive subject with many books written about it. There are timbers to choose, methods to adopt and designs to choose from, all of which can have a positive or negative effect on your goal of turning green wood and not seeing it split.

One of my recent posts was a wet-turned ash bowl which i dried and textured...see http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,4279.0.html
Les
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:55:34 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
I receive greenwood and to help I rough turn to help it dry quicker. Some will need you to cover everything around you as it will spray everywhere.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »
On the plus side, it's generally free, easy to cut, does not make dust and great for learning practice.

On the down side, you can look fairly silly stood at a lathe in rain mac and wellies! It can spray a fair bit of the Free water in the wood around, so be prepared to clean, dry and rub down with an oily rag your lathe bed and tools afterwards.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!