Author Topic: A Celtic Miscellany  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
A Celtic Miscellany
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »
Over the summer and autumn I've been working on a commission for a lady who wants a platter made for her husband, reflecting his Celtic roots, and here's the outcome.
A 16" beech platter with pyro design around the border. The design is based upon the ancient Celtic symbols of two Welsh creatures, 'Milgi', the greyhound, and 'Draig', the dragon - the former is a traditional depiction of the forces of the wind and of speed, whilst the latter is a creature firmly embedded in Welsh folklore, even to the point of featuring on our flag. This turned out to be particularly relevant to my customer, as they have greyhounds and loved the way that the fast, sinewy nature of the animal was depicted.
The stone is Cornish Serpentine (Serpentinite) and I was extremely lucky to find a Cornish quarry which could cut and polish a few cabochons for me, this piece is 6.5cm diameter and is set into a cushion mount which has been cut into the centre of the platter. I was a little concerned about any future movement in the timber, so a 2mm leather gasket has been inserted around the edge of the stone, to prevent any pinching onto the stone.

I always endorse the back of platters, but in this case the customer asked for a personal message also to be pyro-engraved onto it.

The metalised ring surrounding the stone is a 1cm diameter leather thong coated with gilding cream to suggest tinning; a reflection of the famous tin mines of Cornwall.

C&C always welcome.....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: A Celtic Miscellany
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:04:11 PM »
You've outdone ylourself with this one Les. As a Celt (Cornish and Welsh)I am obviously biased regarding the  meaning etc but have to say that you have incorporated so many traditional materials that I confess to being envious.
By the way, I like this a lot.

PEDR
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:52:50 AM »
A good quality one off production , nice

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
Les,

I don't know if it's your presence with the shop, or your fame spreading but you've certainly mastered the art of making people want to by large pieces that have a personal attachment to them.

I think this piece will become a family heirloom which will need to be added to by the wider current or later generations.

I did look at the pictures before I read the description and wondered why the pewter insert had a joint, leather, silvered. It is very effective, neatly done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »
A beautiful piece Les very well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »
Pete, Wood spinner, Bryan and George....many thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Bryan....the customer saw a similar, but much smaller piece in my shop window and was going to by it, but decided to commissions something more personalised....it's been great fun to do but involved a lot of research and many hours of work.
Les

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
Les well done on a beautiful piece of work. Your place on the Register of Professional Turners is well deserved.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »

A great  theme for this piece Les... like all the elements...The Pyro work is very crisp and so lightly done.
       as a matter of interest which machine and tip did you use.......
                 A Great All Round Finished Piece.

Kind Regards Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
Thanks John, and than ks Tony & Di.
I use a Razertip machine and a skew tip nib...http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co.uk/small-skew-only-p-363.html?osCsid=e65pldes5m33sk1gv8pt256mu5
Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 12:17:17 PM »

Much Appreciated Les... Have tried these ..... will have to try a lot harder. ;D ;D
      Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
A really beautiful piece Les and once again your craftsmanship shows

All the best

Ed