Author Topic: Holey Bowl  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Holey Bowl
« on: November 14, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
Not been on for a while. I managed to get this finished just before I managed to put my back out. Made this for our club competition. Made from Tulip wood and is  8 1/2" X 3" Covered with ebonising spray and then a glitter spray. The glitter does look better in the flesh

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Holey Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »
The random arrangement of the holes is well worked out and you've clearly got a good finish on it. It's not to my personal taste, but I can imagine it being popular.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
Thank you Les.

I had to move a few holes in the laying out stage until I was happy with the results the hardest was trying not to have too many holes of the same size ending up together.

The glitter was just one of those experimental finishes that I found while I was looking for something else

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I like the idea but not the form. This flat bottomed Dog Bowl shape just does not work for me. Sometimes I think with this sort of work and sometimes with segmented turners they are so wrapped up in the creating something different they forget the importance of form.
Just my opinion

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:15:47 AM »
I like the idea but not the form. This flat bottomed Dog Bowl shape just does not work for me. Sometimes I think with this sort of work and sometimes with segmented turners they are so wrapped up in the creating something different they forget the importance of form.
Just my opinion

Regards George

Thank you for the comments George. The bowl s not flat bottomed but on looking at it again there is a slight difference in the inside shape that reflects the light giving that appearance, something that I need to consider on future bowls and be careful of to make sure that I get a smoother flow.