Author Topic: Clear methylated spirits  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Redtails3

• copper
Clear methylated spirits
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »
Hi
Anyone know where you can buy clear methylated spirits from ?
Not the purple plonk.
Can I have cold or out of the fridge please?   

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Clear methylated spirits
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:45:10 AM »
Hi Redtails,
Clear methylated spirit is available from numerous suppliers but government regulations will require you to have a licence to use/buy it. This is to prevent it being sold as a 'drink', avoiding the purple version which has that additive, and others to make it undrinkable.
If you only want a very small quantity, you may be able to get some from a local French polisher, as they use the clear stuff for blonde finishes.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Richard S

• iron
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
I recently bought a 500ml bottle from a Hardware Shop but not sure which one, but it is also readily available on E-Bay.

Richard

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »
doesn`t this post worry anybody looking at it,the way the question is worded it sounds to me like Redtails wants to drink it,Redtails,could you please clarify what you are going to use this for.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:30 PM »
Hi
Eric thank you for your concern , I wished there where more public spotted folk around thank you .
To answer your question I want to thin down some sanding sealer .
Eric I am tee total

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
You can buy thinners for sanding sealer. You don't need meths
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 07:33:23 PM »
It depends on the type of sanding sealer - Spirit sealer is thinned with meths, cellulose sealer with cellulose thinners (oddly enough!), acrylic sanding sealer can be thinned with water.

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »
Pete
Will those thinners dilute shellac based products?
I have bought some zinnsers seal coat and mixed it with some purple methylated spirits
And the the stuff has gone purple I do not  want to ruin a piece of work I. Would rather dispose of thinned sealer than risk having
 Purple stain on some work, yes I did try it out and it left mark which sanded out.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
I have only ever used the acrylic and cellulose sealers. Meths (or as the americans call it denatured alchohol) is used for shellac usually and you can get it online both coloured but the clear stuff used to be available only if you were registered. Might be different now.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
Hi Redtails,
Having posted earlier about restrictions on clear meths, I have been interested to read the subsequent posts, especially when you said your are trying zinnsers seal coat. I 'googled' that and found a UK company Decorating Warehouse that supplies that product. http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/paints--coatings/zinsser-products/zinsser-seal-coat/697
I downloaded the data sheet (it's actually the one by the manufacturer) and it does confirm it is shellac based so would need to be thinned with methylated spirit. What is also of interest is that the Decorating Warehouse page showing the Zinners sealer has 'Barretine Methylated Spirit' as a related product, and they are showing the common purple dyed type.
One other thing, the data sheet states that the product should NOT be thinned when using as a sealer or bond coat. Is there any reason why you want to thin it?
It may be worth contacting your supplier or even Zinnsers direct and see what they recommend.
Hope that helps. Please let us know of any developments.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
Hi
Your post makes interesting reading thank you I will keep you posted on any information I gather.
The thinning question it's the old woodworking adage of its better to 0ut several thin coats on rather than a couple of thick coats.
Perhaps I am being cynical  but do the makers want you to thin it down and make it last longer?
Within the last hour I have tried this thin mixture and it seems OK again I will keep you posted

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
Paul
I have just read the data sheet  on the decorating warehouse site and what you say about not thinning it is. Correct.
But if you read the product disruption it states that untouched it is a 2lb cut if you thin by 50% then you get a 1lb cut
And it goes onto sayhow quick this dries.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:00:36 PM »
Chestnut products sell "Spirit Thinners", which isn't just methylated spirit but may be a good solvent for the spirit sealer and it isn't purple. Perhaps if you ask Terry Smart he would be able to answer the question.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »
Glad that was cleared up,thanks,Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Stevekir

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »
This stirred memories. When I was about 11 I got involved in chemistry experiments which included  charcoal, sulphur and saltpetre (details witheld) and other things. My "bunsen burner" was the inside of a methylated spirits iron (for clothes). I remember the smell which took me right back in time until the bottle ran out. A few years ago I bought a new bottle and the blighters have changed, even removed, my smell.

Is the old stuff still available and what is it called?