Author Topic: First Inside Out turning  (Read 1805 times)

Offline HillClimb

• copper
First Inside Out turning
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
First attempt at an inside out turning and also first "vase". It was a bit of a mind boggler - getting my head around how to determine the correct profile for the inside to achieve an even wall thickness and match my desired exterior profile. But then the penny dropped and it is actually reasonably simple. This one is American Black Walnut, approx 220mm tall by 90mm diameter - finished with Danish Oil and Beale buffed. Lots of learning points / improvers - including designing in larger glue surfaces so that it was a little less terrifying to turn and abrade as this was one to say "good enough" and glad to have finished it without incident
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: First Inside Out turning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:25:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
An excellent job....it's always good to try something new and to push the boundaries of your knowledge and experience....it certainly seems to have worked with this piece.
Les
p.s. ... why not let us know a little bit about yourself - how long you've been turning, what you normally turn etc.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:44:43 PM »

Got to admit I struggled with my first one and left it at one...... Well Done
                  Kind Regards
                  Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:01 PM »
Thanks gwyntog - will do.

Thanks Tony - I enjoyed it except for slight fear that it might fly apart, so I ended up leaving the neck with more meat on it than originally planned and also abrading was challenging and I know I didn't do that to my usual standard. Already drawn out my design for my second attempt which I will do soon
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »
I'll add a welcome as well.

If I'm honest, and having seen your post of much more of your work, I don't like this. Nothing you've done wrong, its just a case of reversed turnings are are notoriously difficult to make look really good.

However, it's all about the experimentation, learning and trying something new, so well done on that, and post some more work soon.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:52 AM »
OK dr4gOnfly thanks for sharing- can't please all the people all the time LOL

Whilst there are some general principles of good design there is also personal taste. This one worked out to be pretty much as per my original drawings. Prior to trying this, I viewed loads of inside-out via google image search and also general "good design" profiles for vases, and so my sketches made the best of the spindles proportions to hand, I liked the shape I drew and I love this end result, so personal taste - its all good