Author Topic: What finishes do people use?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Nautilus21

• iron
What finishes do people use?
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »
Hi

Typically have finished my first few pieces with wax block or Danish oil....

What does everyone typically use?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: What finishes do people use?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:41:37 AM »
Depends on what the piece is, if it's plan wood and I want an instant finish I use Yorkshire Grit with a Hampshire Sheen wax over. If it's really nice piece of wood then it will get 6 plus coats of Danish oil built up with at leased 12 hours between coats.
Some work I use Caranuba wax with the Chestnut buffing system.
For my enhanced work I use CA or lacquer

It's worth playing around with all types of finish to see what works best for you and the work that your doing.

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
You really need to lay a foundation before using wax or you will find that your wax eventually sinks into the wood and dissapears.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »

It's worth playing around with all types of finish to see what works best for you and the work that your doing.

Ed

Totally agree with Ed-however it would be nice if  manufacturers all produced sample packs to facilitate trying out several finishes.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
As Ed pointed out it depends on the piece as well as the type of finish. Not all finishes are suitable for certain types of work. I learnt like Ed by experimenting

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
As said
Also if it for food use you need a food safe finish ,

If it a item that will be handled lots then Microcrystalline Wax knits down to form a very dense coating which makes it very hard wearing and highly water repellent, ideal for situations needing a tough coating that might get wet. These waxes also have a higher melting point than traditional waxes.

Offline jjstephen

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »
I mostly make decorative platters right now and last year it was mostly segmented pieces.  Either way, my preferred finish is multiple coats of an oil/varnish blend (which one depends on the wood) followed by two coats of wipe on poly and buffing with Tripoli and Renaissance wax.  A couple of steel wool rubdowns are also part of my process, usually after the last oil/varnish coat has dried and between the WOP coats. 

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:56:09 PM »
....Microcrystalline Wax ..... highly water repellent....

I agree with woodspinner about using Microcrystaline (Chestnut or Renaissance Wax) but think that to say that it is highly water repellent is a bit of an exaggeration. It is water resistent, but may well show dull blotches if splashed. The issue about its melting point is a great benefit though. Whereas beeswax melts at a temperature low enough to take fingerprints very readily, microcrystaline wax melts at a much higher temperature and is far less likely to take a fingerprint.

Les
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:57:40 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Nautilus21

• iron
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
Thanks I'm going to give the chestnut wax a go at some point.... I do like Danish oil and have a nice burr walnut bowl ready to finish so may just go with that this time!

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
  burs and waxes don't always work well, if all the recesses get wax in them it does not look good so be warned.

Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »
i pretty much only use danish oil...

Offline Nautilus21

• iron
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Thanks DO it is then...