General Category > General Discussion

Turning aesthetics

<< < (2/5) > >>

Nige7:
Certainly does Brian :)

Nigel

Roger Groom:
Hi Nigel
When someone gives a critique, at a club meeting (not judging) it is the critiquers opinion alone, of what he/she thinks about the piece. There is no point at all in saying"this is very nice" when he/she, most probably thinks it isn't. I am of the opinion that you can usually tell how long someone has been turning by the shape, form and finish of the article, and it is to the makers advantage to be advised as to how it could have been improved. This subject has been contensiously discussed on this and other forums and caused many dissagreements. I hope I dont start another one!!!!!  If it was being judged, then really a different, but similar process takes place, with the judge having to pick the best, in his/hers opinion. The main thing is not to take offence by comments made, but to take the piece home, have a good look at it and consider if you agree. If you do. then do something in a different way next time. If you dont agree then stick two fingers up!!!!!
Roger G

Nige7:
Thanks Roger, that was pretty much as I took it to be. As a beginner I know I have loads to learn and have probably tried to start on form before I have learned enough skills. The beginners turning book I have by Rowley suggests lots of spindle turning to learn techniques BEFORE starting on face plate or chuck work. I wanted to turn a bowl so I've ignored that so far but now about to start on some spindle work as chair legs are an important part of what my wife and I want to do :)

I can imagine that critiques, judging, call it what we will can be very contentious and it wasnt my intention to start a thread that might become so :)  I am bright enough to accept criticism I can learn from and ignore what I can't :)

Nigel

woodndesign:

Hi Nigel,

I can only add that you couldn't have a better book than Keith Rowleys, both are excellent, a good few, as I had, used his book to start and it's still good for today, it is to follow as layed out the Rules of the tools and cuts, as well as understanding, as you have already found, that woods ...  differ in grain, density and how they cut, all will come clear in time,  as will judging, as you get a better understanding of design, holding the work, cuts, finishes and hiding how it was held as with a bowl/platter or hollow form, when see see a piece and you ask yourself, how did they do that, then that piece is worth top marks.

Enjoy your turning, have fun and most of all work and stay safe ...  follow the Rules.

David

Nige7:
Thanks David.  I have an old skew, without a handle, that I have re-ground. I have a piece of olive (in the round) which is just about long enough and have started turning it to make a handle :)  Lovely to turn, very dense and tight grained.

Nigel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version