Author Topic: H&S issue  (Read 3177 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
H&S issue
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:18:21 PM »
I keep seeing both online and at shows, candles and t lights turned and used with no inserts. This means the candles and t lights are in direct contact with the wood. I did an experiment with some oak t light holders some years ago and found that even with the metal sleeve they come in the wood often charred. Surely this is something that should be avoided? Am I alone in this or have others found this as well?
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: H&S issue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
Pete I know that you have pointed this out before as have other turners. There is nothing legislative that can be done about this issue. All we can do,and by we I mean the responsible turners out there, is inform customers that our way is the safer way thereby actively discouraging the purchase of inferior
work, that could  apply to quality of work also. Eventually, when people stop buying inferior work the message will get across.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
A year or so ago I did some research into this and discovered that, if I remember the number correctly, at least three different fire authorities had recorded incidents of fatalities resulting from wooden tea-light holders without inflammable barriers, becoming so charred and dry through frequent use that they eventually combusted. However, most trading standards offices require there to be a non-inflamable interface, which is currently provided by the aluminium pot that the tea light is sold in. Clearly, the aluminium pot is not up to the job of acting as an interface in a wooden tea-light holder, but where there are relevant trading standards, they appear to meet these standards.
All we can do is educate and keep plugging away!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »
Part of the probalem is that the waxes used for candles and t lights are all different, beeswax, paraffin wax, soy wax etc and they burn at different temperatures. The most commonly used in commercial ones is the parafin wax with a melting point of 199˚C more than enough t ignite softer woods or charred dry woods as Les said.

Pete

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
I just decided, some time ago, not to have anything to do with candles. Didn't think it was worth the risk. May be a cop out but there are no worries.
Michael

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
I use the little glass tealight holders that you used to be able to get from IKEQ as inserts. The trouble is, they don't sell them anymore and I'm down to my last 30 or so.

WHEN they are gone, I'll not be making any more.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eddie Perkins

• iron
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »
I also use the Ikea glass holders as they are best value. You are also supposed to supply safety information when you sell them also.  I have printed these in pictograms form and pop a copy in the bag.
Eddie

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
You should have safety info if you have t lights or candles with them but not if they are missing. Not a bad idea though.
Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 09:30:17 PM »
On the subject of Candle Safety, I've attached the handout I give out at demos where I do candlesticks.

The small circular images at the bottom of the second page are the warnings I add to my tealights, they fit under the glass insert.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
Nice one Brian. Standard candle one I have seen and used but some of the rest is new to me. Interesting that whilst those who make candles should have the standard warning with them you can buy a bag of 100 t lights in certain well known discount tores for peanuts with no warnings at all.

Pete

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »
Thanks for raising this Pete. Only recently in our monthly chapter challenge tea light holders were the project. I'd never turned these before so just got stuck in, not thinking. I'd turned 2 holders from some small pieces of scrap oak cut into triangles. At our monthly meeting one of the other members were telling me they turned someting similar, with just a recess for the foil tea light insert to fit in. After being used a couple of times, it started to char the wood. I won't be using mine now, for show only!

I've since come across some glass inserts for the tea lights to sit into. Got them for a €1 each in our local tesco. Will be using them in future if I make any more holders.

Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
There you go Pete, we are making a difference already! ;D

Online Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
Here's a document which describes your obligations if you are selling candles.

http://www.britishcandles.org/documents/www.britishcandles.org/Trading_Standards/candlesadvicesheet(v5).pdf

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 11:38:50 PM »
All of my items that have candles always have either a glass insert or the brass types for the tall thin candles. I don't believe in taking any chances