Author Topic: Laburnum WIP  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Laburnum WIP
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
looking good Pete,its nice when you can save a punky piece of wood.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
Ribs are OK now, just bruised I think so got on with the laburnum. Got the outside finished and buffed and hollowed out as far as I dare. Apologies for the images but the polish is so bright it was difficult to get a good photo. Last one gives ylou the view I had when hollowing out. Just got to finish off, detach from the mount and decide what to do with it next LOL. That will be the hard part I susoect. Needs mounting somehow.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
All sanded (inside and out), polished and removed from mount, now what lol? Got a couple of ideas but talk it over with the boss see what ideas she has.

Pete

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Pete

Great finish with all the irregularities just trying to bounce the tool around, hats off to you.
Regards

Phil

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
Looks like a Pete special  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Yes, hats off to the effort, but to me this still looks like an ugly lump of wood, and I cannot quite figure out where you are going with this.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
Yes, hats off to the effort, but to me this still looks like an ugly lump of wood, and I cannot quite figure out where you are going with this.

To my eyes it's been transformed from an ugly lump of would into a piece of art  ;D It doesn't need to go any further.

Cheers,
Mike.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
When I do a piece like this it is partly the challenge of making something from what many see as an ugly, useless lump of wood and partly to try and expose the raw beauty in the wood. Oddly enough I find that wood turners often aren't keen but the general public love it. When seen in the flesh (or wood if you prefer) pieces like this get picked up for the sheer tactile appeal as well as the look. It will eventually be mounted in some way and I will try and get some decent photos to try and show off the textures and colours in it. I accept that it is not everyones cup of tea but perhaps surprisingly this sort of thing does sell and better than bowls etc that perhaps many make. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:29:29 AM by bodrighywood »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
Pete,

not been saying much but I have been watching, I like what you've done with that old rotten bit of laburnum, although I was surprised to see the bit of burr appear in it as well.

Now I'm interested to see how the good lady dressers it onto a plinth/base to really bring it to life.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »
Thanks Brian, we've got some ideas, just need t make them work LOL.

Pete

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
Hi Pete

This was not an easy piece to turn at all. The result I really like, yes it is perhaps what we may call ugly but for me that is it's beauty. It is natural, honest without being contrived. It is full of interest and character and I have to say and I hope you do not take offence,  it is the photography that lets it down.

I more than appreciate that it is a workshop pic and not suppose to look like a gallery setting. If this piece were presented on a pure white plinth in a contemporary room it would look great., it is Wabi-Sabi through and through.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
Thank you for the comment guys, appreciated. No offence whatsoever regarding the photography Mark. It is just a wip shot but that is no excuse, you are right as my photography is something I really need to work on and one of the reasons I don't post a lot. I do really need to get my head around both the presentation and actual photography of my work.

Pete