Author Topic: Sick band saw....  (Read 2599 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Sick band saw....
« on: February 14, 2017, 03:57:55 PM »
Gave the old band saw a good work out today and it's now complaining.  Basically it won't start....hit the start button and it hums but doesn't start.  If I spin the wheel it goes fine at full speed & power, but it won't start on it's own (I'm aware of the H&S implications of having the doors open and spinning the wheel manually to get it started but have carried out a full risk assessment and am perfectly happy with it  ;D).

Any clues as to what needs repairing/replacing?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Sick band saw....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
i'm no expert so i expect to be corrected but that sounds like the motor is not going to last long?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
Since this is probably a single-phase machine, it would need a capacitor to start the engine in the right direction, and I suspect that's the problem. Capacitors do age more than other components. Should be easy to fix, and not cost the world.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »
Thanks guys, capacitor ordered.  Will see if that does the trick.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
I'm a little late joining in to this thread, but I certainly agree that it'll be the capacitor. My big old pillar drill suffered exactly this problem several months ago. Curiously, after starting it a few times by spinning the chuck by hand, it recovered and now works perfectly.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »
And I also say change the Motor Start Capacitor if as you say, once you start it it keeps going.

The capacitor causes a phase difference to kick start the motor on a single phase motor, as you describe it is a sure sign the Cap's gone.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »

Hi Chris,
              A friend had the same problem he cleaned all the dust out of the NVR switch problem solved.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
Thanks for all the additional replies guys.  I now have the new capacitor so will get the saw out of its corner over the weeked and see what's going on.  It certainly needs a good clean out so we'll see if that makes a difference on its own.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
Well it took some moving out of its rather messy corner but I eventually got it out and found the capacitor.  I'm guessing it's not supposed to be split and leaking grey gunge??

Swapped it out and all is now good.   Thanks all for the help.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
Whatever you do Chris......SAVE THE GREY GUNGE....you never know when it'll come in handy!!! 8)
Best
Brian