Author Topic: Bloodwood and Osage orange  (Read 2975 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Bloodwood and Osage orange
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Does anyone know of a uk supplier of either or both of these woods? I want larger sizes than pen blanks and thicker than guitar tonewoods. Thanks. Malcolm.

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron
Re: Bloodwood and Osage orange
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Have you tried Timberline in Tonbridge in Kent? I think they advertise in Woodturning magazine.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:35:34 AM »
i may know a couple of people, what sizes do you want?

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am a Segmenter so almost any sizes would work, probably more than 19mm thick and 25mm plus wide. I have tried many of the exotic hardwood suppliers.  Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
are other species on your radar or just those?

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
Malcy,
 I have some of each wood but both were bought in the USA. Timberline is probably your best bet or if notI got mine from West Penn Hardwoods in North Carolina. I,m sure they would ship to you. The USPS has a great rate for standard box size so shipping might not be too bad.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
Just those for the moment for a couple of particular projects. If I can't get any in uk, I will look at getting some from USA. I will call Timberline tomorrow but am not hopeful. Anyone know of a reason why they are not easily available here? Thanks for your replies. Malcolm.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
Short answer is I guess weight Both woods are heavy so shipping costs would be high.
Plus not a lot of UK turners use fancy exotics!
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »
speak for yourself dave....

i love my exotics but more for the ability to turn something that i've not turned before rather than just the timber.

i might be bringing in a plank of the bloodwood next month but it will only be fresh timber not kiln dried (i think) as it's more expensive for the kilning rather than the weight so far as i can tell.

i'm looking at a few other species too, do you think there will be a market for them?

just how much bloodwood are you after?

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
There probably is not a big market for these exotics as most turners use lumps to turn from. Those of us who are segmenters use the exotics in smaller quantities to add colour and make patterns. I usually use 2 or3 inch spindle blanks or a 2 inch board for what I need. If it is more than for the project I am on then the extra goes to my wood store for future use. I use Purple Heart, yellow heart, cherry, holly, walnut, wedge to name but a few. Bloodwood is red and would be a good addition to my stock. So I could accommodate most sizes as i use any thickness between 3mm and 50mm and mostly from 15mm wide. Please let me know how you progress. Thanks. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:07 AM »
if you are interested in some other colours i have opepe, padauk, balau, cumaru, robinia, makore and various other oddities kicking around.

opepe is orange, padauk is red, balau is pink to redish, cumaru is red/orange/brown, robinia is yellow and makore is red/brown