Author Topic: ash hollow form.  (Read 5334 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: ash hollow form.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
Looking at this I have to say I like the little hollow form

Ed

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »
thank you all for your comments and I can see from them that I need to study the shape that I do and the finial shapes I turn so thank you all again for your help.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
After all the comments about the finial I decided to have a go at turning a thinner one so here is the new photo of the latest finial. all comments to this will help me get better.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
What are you using to do these? I find that a skew will get a thinner spindle and can be used for the beads etc as well.
This new one is a lot better for having less detailed work on it but it would be worth practicing getting it a bit thinner sooner on the upper section. Perhaps just personal taste,see what others say.

As a bit of an aside regarding thin spindles have a look at this video.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 04:33:11 PM »
I totally agree with Pete, in fact, I could have written it myself word by word.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
Hi Dennis

That is a huge improvement, certainly not taking you long to get up to speed is it.  :) All the best

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
IMO the shorter finial is a huge improvement as it is now more in proportion with the hollow form. Fewer features to me means it is now less fussy, less excessive and therefore far more elegant. I do agree with the "improvers" suggested in previous comments that the main section could taper faster with a stronger curve and look a little more delicate . A huge improvement onethe less IMO though, so well done
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
I'm not a finial fan so I'll not comment on that, but I do like the hollow form.  Not easy to do such an extreme shape and for me you've made a cracking job of it.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
thank you for your comments on this form. I think from the comments I am getting better. so now I just need to put in place what I am learning.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »
thank you Mark I have good tutors from this site so keep the critique so thank you all. Peter I do use the skew for doing this but I am a bit of a chicken for thinness.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:44:25 PM by wider »

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
thank you Mark I have good tutors from this site so keep the critique so thank you all. Peter I do use the skew for doing this but I am a bit of a chicken for thinness.

You are welcome. In relation to the thickest and being a chicken that is natural. I often take scrap of wood and push myself to the point of wrecking (safely) the piece. It is only when we go beyond our skill set and that of the wood will can learn, a/ how far we can push ourselves and the wood, b? how to raise our skill set. Probably the best thing to happen to me starting out in hollow forms was the ones that went wrong and I cut through, I learnt so much from these failures that now I wreck far fewer  ;D but I do still wreck them as we all do.