Author Topic: decorated ash platter / dish  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
decorated ash platter / dish
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
This ash fruit dish is 9inch x 1 1/2 with stylised iridescent leafs and scorching on the inside and candle soot stained grain on the outside - lacquered inside shellac and waxed outside c/c welcome

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: decorated ash platter / dish
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
Tony,

Where does one start critiquing a piece that has used 'Candle Soot' as a colouring effect. Where on earth did that idea spring from?

The work looks good, but I hope it it the photography that makes the shellac finish look a little thick and overly shiny in the first image.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
Nice.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

Certainly a new twist to embellishing , it seems to have brought out the grain very well.
    Regards Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Tony Kairo

• copper
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
Tony,

Where does one start critiquing a piece that has used 'Candle Soot' as a colouring effect. Where on earth did that idea spring from?

The work looks good, but I hope it it the photography that makes the shellac finish look a little thick and overly shiny in the first image.

Thank you for your comments Bryan - I used to use candle soot to create shadow when putting inlay in coffee table tops. I found it much better than trying to use hot sand to get the correct shape.

The grain of ash takes the soot very well and makes it easy to put any finish over the top - you are right about the shiny interior I used a gloss lacquer to protect the painted leafs and It should have been matt or satin so I will have to try to dull it down a bit.

regards tony