Author Topic: apple hollow form.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline wider

• gold
apple hollow form.
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
I turned this hollow form last week. I am glad I didn't fit the finial at the time as the form as it has dried out and moved in places. the finial is from walnut. all comments welcome. the first photo is of the form just after I turned it. and the rest are from tonight as I finished the finial.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: apple hollow form.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »
The Finial looks like it does not belong to the form it just looks plonked on top. The base of the Finial should blend into the top of the form in my opinion.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
I happen to disagree with George, I think that finial looks good, is well proportioned and is a fit for the hollow form. Unfortunately I think the drying out has not done your hollow form any favours. On the third picture it looks like there is some severe distortion, especially around the middle section, and that completely destroys what might have been a nice piece.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:54:21 PM »
From the movement visible in the photos, can we assume that the form was turned green?

I think you've done well to hold the pith of the branch knots together and that they have not split too badly (maybe just starting to now) but that is part of the character of green wood turning.

Strangely you've gone so well on the form, but not pushed yourself on the finial. it needed to be cut much narrower between the bobbin and teardrop, that would have lifted it to a much more elegant shape.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
thank you all for your comments. yes the form was turned wet but didn't think at the time that it would move as it has.