Author Topic: Natural Edge Maple Vase  (Read 2268 times)

Offline HillClimb

• copper
Natural Edge Maple Vase
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »
Practise piece, to try out some unused kit. First use of my gripper jaws and home-made steady-rest, but main objective was to learn how to use my hook-tool for the end grain hollowing (and the oversized Sapelle handle I made to use with it (pictured with a 16" handled gouge for context)) . Very effective - I like it - but not at all intuitive. A Maple branch off of the firewood pile, felled 9months ago, which had numerous checks before I even started including a bark scar, adds interest! so all fixed with CA, but at 18% moisture it will probably continue to crack some more and end up in the wood burner. Vase 135mm (5.5") diameter by 175mm (7") tall. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:05:59 PM by HillClimb »
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Natural Edge Maple Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:24 PM »
Don't see many turners other than pole lathe turners or japanese using a hook tool nowadays.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »
Yes Pete - it is an end-grain only tool - and even then better suited to turning green wood.  It seems that, that combination will always make it rare in the UK. And unlike most, I do have a ready source of green wood, but not much of greater trunk girth and I only have a midi lathe. So I want to get to be good at, what I have readily to hand - small-med end grain green turning - as well as the seasoned side grain turning that is more common.

I saw the hook tool demo'ed, and in the hands of a master I like the fact that a  peeling cuts is possible (rather than scraping with a carbide); and planing cuts are possible too and it drills well. So it is ideal for peeling cuts where the form is deeper than a gouge can be safely used.

But in my novice hands, so far I have found it to be very effective at removing wood quickly and it feels safe; but I am a long way away the finesse of controlling profiling to get even thin wall turnings and a great finish -- but that is what practise is all about
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »
I really like the goblet/beaker shape you've achieved here.

Where do you jet a hook tool like that in the UK, please?

That's an interest only question, not actually sure I'd like to try one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
They are mainly made by pole lathe turners Brian. You can get them here

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
I know Wiedemann make their version of this hook tool that is intended for woodturning lathe machinest (i.e. powered lathes spinning fast rather than slow treadle lathes)  and I when I have visited my local woodturning shop, the Toolpost, over at Didcot, Oxford I saw that they sell the Wiedemann Hook Tool (but I can not find them listed for sale on Peter's website - but then he has loads of stuff in the shop that isn't on the website).

There are a couple of video's on YouTube by Wiedemann demo'ing their use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyDNAGu0rxU (the profile of Wiedemann straight hook tool is very different to Martel's which I have. With myine I pull from the bottom of the cut - where with this Wiedemann it cuts to the side - but not that
  • Although the item being cut is a spindle & end-grain, the cut is peeling side grain
  • If you were to hold a hook tool beside a bowl gouge, it has the same cutting tip and cutting edge along one "wing", both with the same bevel
  • So the initial cuts shown in the Wiedemann video are identical to presenting a bowl gouge laid on its side with the flute pointing towards the front of the lathe, in a push cut from the middle toward the lathe front when the handle is way over the back of the lathe (as Demo'ed by Stuart Batty at 4:50 here https://vimeo.com/68642331  - but the difference is a hook tool can continue to make this bevel supported cut deeper than a bowl gouge where the side walls of the form would interfere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxmc7pd3kQ explains cranked hook tools - the comments above re. that a hoot tool has the same cutting edges and bevel and the peeling of side grain with bevel support still apply - the rational for the crank in the hook tool is to put the cutting edge back in line with centre line of the shaft and toolrest support

I have the MHT version and there is a full length video of its use and comparison to gouges here https://vimeo.com/82587061

Perhaps you can tell from the above, I am not only interested in how a cut is done (which is often what is demo'ed)  - but why, when done right, it works - hence I like presenters line Andre Martel and Stuart Batty how explain the technicalities

However I can't say I have ever seen a hook being used on a pole lathe, so i have no idea whether they are the same profile or similar, same tool presentation - or whether they simply share a name but are quite different

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:27:06 PM by HillClimb »