Author Topic: Hollow form box with threaded lid/finial  (Read 2772 times)

Offline John. B

• iron
Hollow form box with threaded lid/finial
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:02:59 PM »
Hollow form box with a threaded lid/finial, made from six woods 210mm high 145mm wide:
Maple, laminated with Indian Rosewood the foot is Rosewood.
The lid/finial consists of maple, laminated with fumed oak veneer and the cherry in the middle is of Laburnum,
the threaded insert and lid base is of Boxwood.
Through the centre is a skewer of bamboo to reinforce the glue joints.
C&C welcome.
John. B     
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PM by John. B »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Hollow form box with threaded lid/finial
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:28:43 PM »

Hi John B,
                   A great piece of work I like the fact you have threaded the finial which is most unusual and using several different woods
 I am surprised I am the the first to comment considering there have been 22 views of the pictures well done I look forward to seeing some more of your work.
                              Regards John

John Smith

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

Hi John B,
                  ... I am surprised I am the the first to comment considering there have been 22 views....
Fair point, John B....I viewed this when it first appeared and think that I'm in the same dilemma as a few other readers. Whenever a piece appears on the forum, which is so different to the norm, we seem to need time to consider it. I will admit that I don't like the variety of materials and the mix of strong lines in both the vertical and the horizontal planes. Having said that, the piece speaks volumes of its own quality of construction. The glue lines look to be perfect and the finish is truly admirable.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
I have returned to this several times and to be honest it does nothing for me too big a mix.
As an exercise in accurate segmenting and turning with a good finish it would take some beating. I appreciate the work that has gone into it so very well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
     oops well and truly missed this one ....Unfortunately John B not quite our style of piece but and its a Big But
     that does not however detract from the workmanship and finish that has gone into  the making of this piece.
     Very Well Done
     Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline John. B

• iron
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Thank you all for your critique, I shall now tell you why it was made like that.
My club 's challenge was, 'Turn a box with a lid'
Some while back, I was given four pieces of Maple each about a little over 2". So for this challenge
I wanted to make a hollow form box with a lid that was threaded. I could have laminated the Maple but the join
would have looked horrible so I scrabbled about for a piece of dark wood for contrast and the only piece
I found was some odd scrap of coffee table in Indian Rosewood with just enough to slice in half so that the laminations
were similar in thickness when turned. As to the finial, I didn't have enough width in the Maple I had left so I decided to cruciform
with a sample piece of fumed Oak veneer. It still looked a bit too short so I turned a cherry in Laburnum to give it height.
The boxwood insert took a thread so much better than the Maple so that's why I chose that.
The finial glue joints being small needed some support, so a skewer of bamboo up through the centre sorted that 8).
So that's the reason for the multi wood box.
Thanks again gents, it was fun to make ;D ;D.
John. B 

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:42:33 PM »
Hi John

This piece is not my cup of tea, but the quality of workmanship and finish is.

Looks to be very well made.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »
I suppose like many others, I have looked at this several times and wondered what to say.

Yes, it is extremely well made and very finished, I like it a lot... only up to the bead on the finial. The top section of the finial is too heavy, it makes the rest of the work look out of balance. Which is a shame as the level of effort you've put into this, shines through every part of it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
Have to echo the general opinion. Quality is great but overall design etc not for me personally. You definitely have the technical ability and patience to do this sort of work so look forward to any more from you.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
As the others have said,great workmanship in the construction and turning,but I think its like a lot of my work,you`ve made it to try new ways of working, or to make the most of the wood you have available,some will like it some won`t.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline John. B

• iron
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
As Eric said it was mainly making use of what I had available.
Thank you for your critique gents.
John