Author Topic: Lady Luck is smiling  (Read 6118 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Lady Luck is smiling
« on: March 31, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »
On Wednesday afternoon I received a phone call from Steve Earis (se7enthdevil on this forum) to tell me that over at arbtalk somebody had posted that a 5t sycamore was coming down in Birmingham and people could contact him if they wanted some. So I got in touch with the guy, went there yesterday morning and (after a hard day's work) walked away with about 1t of the sycamore.

As you can see from the second image, it's rippled (also called fiddleback), and I can tell you, the rippling is in every single piece, all the way through. The biggest pieces are about 800mm wide (32"), 900mm long (36") and 150mm thick (6"). They are so heavy that I can hardly move them about, never mind lifting them.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Lady Luck is smiling
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Nice stuff! Steve always gets to know about the good wood before anyone else - not sure how he does it! I must pop over to see him sometime soon.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »
i've never been called lady luck before...

i knew the wood had a high probability of it being very rippled as it was a big tree with a relatively small trunk splitting at only 6' off the ground and with a maple species that often results in some gorgeous ripple...

as for my sources it's all on arbtalk guys. lots of tree surgeons that sometimes need shot of the wood on the day and are often happy for it to go for free.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 04:19:15 AM »
Very lucky indeed....enough to last quite some time. What's your plan for drying it and keeping it free of grey-stain?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:49:32 AM »
I can see someone's going to be doing a bit of green turning  :)

If your going to pick up wood like this it's worth buying an Alaskan Mill and a winch  ;D ;D ;D

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:51:39 PM »
Les: the stacks you can see in the first image are stickered. I've now also covered the end grain with PVA glue, and put some old bulk bags on top to keep the worst of the rain off. What else should I be doing?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 02:21:35 AM »
Sycamore is very susceptible to a fungal attack that results in grey-stain in the timber. Many people stack sycamore on end to dry, but another worthwhile strategy is to wash the whole surface with a mild solution of borax.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Thanks, Les. I presume I should have done this already?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »
Just did a bit of searching and apparently one cannot buy borax any longer due to EU regulations, only a substitute (which according to testimonies can't hold a candle to the real stuff). So where do you guys get your borax from?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
You can get it here if you are registered as a business.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »
Just did a bit of searching and apparently one cannot buy borax any longer due to EU regulations, only a substitute (which according to testimonies can't hold a candle to the real stuff). So where do you guys get your borax from?
Yes you can buy high purity (lab grade) Borax on Ebay as a private individual.  I purchased 500grams from THIS seller last November and received a very quick delivery.  Let me know if you would like more details.

Tim

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 12:41:03 AM »
just out of curiosity, what has borax got over PVA???

i've used PVA for years and never felt the need to get another substance.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:31:14 AM »
PVA seals and thereby prevents/slows evaporation and water ingress.  Borax is an anti-fungal so will actively kill and prevent fungal infections.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »
Thanks, Tim, I think I'll do that. Would be a shame to have some much nicely rippled sycamore lost to grey stain. Another question for the long term experts on here: do I leave the bark on or take it off?

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Borax is used as a flux(prevents metal surface from oxidation when heating) with silversmiths. You can buy or from silversmith suppliers such as Cooksongold.com. Malcolm.