General Category > General Discussion

Turning Balsa Wood

(1/2) > >>

Roger Groom:
Evening All
Has anyone had any experience in turning Balsa Wood. I have been asked to make some fishing floats for a chap who makes traditional hand made floats. Although Balsa is very soft, botanically it is a hardwood. It is a broadleaved tree and therefore in this category. I await your replies with intrepidation!!!!!!!
Roger G

Bryan Milham:
I've never turned it in a lathe.

But as a kid I used to help my father make floats from Balsa (Avon somethings). He'd drill and push a bit of pegwood (very thin dowel) through the balsa. Then using an electric drill and sandpaper (no fancy abrasives back then) shape the outside and then apply the eyes etc and paint and lacquer them.

It'll be an interesting exercise.

John D Smith:
Hi Roger,It seems you should get the Balsa Wood near to the size you require then using a Bamboo kebab Skewer push down the middle then onto the lathe and then using coarse sandpaper turn to the shape followed by the painting.

Try this link.  www.ehow.com/how_5437610_balsa-fishing-floats.html

Regards John

John D Smith:
Hi Roger, This link maybe better.www.floatfishingconnection.com/tutorial_JM_BalsaFloatTutorial.htm

Regards John

Paul Hannaby:
Hi Roger,
I used to make my own floats too with balsa wood, sarcandas reed and peacock quills. I used to "turn" the balsa on a drill after mounting it on a piece of reed by using a combination of abrasives and a stanley knife as a sort of skew! I think I might still have some of the raw materials kicking around somewhere.

The balsa is very easy to shape and sand smooth. Give it  a couple of coats of cellulose dope or sanding sealer before painting or varnishing, it hardens the wood a little and stops the paint soaking in too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version