Author Topic: Sad News Passing of Liam Flynn  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Sad News Passing of Liam Flynn
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Hi all

Came back from travels to some very sad news that a few nights ago Irish Woodturner Liam Flynn past away in his sleep at the age of 48. I have to say this has sadened and shocked. I was fortunate to work with Liam closely at a wood art collaboration some years ago and can say that he was a consummate professional, master woodturner and a gentle, considerate person that has left a huge hole in woodturning.

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time. It is hard to believe this generous talented man has passed at such a young age.

For those that are not aware of Liam's work it can be viewed here. http://www.liamflynn.com/ a sad time indeed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:19:26 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Dancie

• bronze
Re: Sad News Passing of Liam Flynn
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:08:56 PM »
From Marks link I've just looked at the work of Liam Flynn - very inspirational, wonderful creativity - sad news
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
Very sad news, indeed, Mark.
I watched a video of Liam the other day and was enchanted by his accent. As I remarked at the time, I would have listened to him talking irrespective of what he was saying, so I had the added benefit of being enthralled and motivated by the content of the video, he really did turn some beautiful pieces and he came across as being the gentle man who you describe.
I recall your trip to Ireland and the collaborative works that you did there (especially the wall), that must have been one heck of an experience to be working alongside people like Liam.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
Very sad news Mark, my condolences to his family and friends
All the best
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »
Deeply sad at this news.
I considered Liam's work to be some of, if not THE, best turning being done in the world I've seen.
Having seen many photos of his work I made the effort to get to see his show in London last year. The pieces were even more impressive in real life, superb form from all angles and no little glitches hidden out of view from the camera. They were absolute masterpieces. I wish I'd been able to afford to buy one of those that had still been available for sale.

His pieces had poise, elegance and restraint in design, plus despite their technical difficulty were exquisitely crafted to a faultless standard.

I'd hoped to be able to meet him and purchase one or more of his works, that won't happen now :-(

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
Very sad news,he was a very talented man.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
Very sad when someone dies so young and to lose such a talent in woodturning.

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
I never knew Liam Flynn but as already said it is always a shame and sad to lose a talented turner

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
I went to the V&A museum yesterday and I saw an example of the work by Liam Flynn, an interesting ebonised hollow form. Disappointingly it’s on a glass shelf about 8 feet in the air so I was unable to view the fine detail but even so I could still appreciate its quality.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying