Author Topic: Walnut Bowl  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Grethron

• iron
Walnut Bowl
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
This is the first piece I've been confident enough to let you guys see.

Walnut, felled in Canterbury about 7 years ago, chunk that's been kicking about in my garden, used as a chopping block and for the cats to scratch at until I chose to see if there was anything exciting inside.

Sorry about the photo quality but it's the best I can manage with what I have. (Where have I heard that before? lol)

Approx 6" diameter and 3" high, finished in beeswax. Comments welcome - unless they're mean.

Cheers, Gav.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Walnut Bowl
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
Pics are too poor to see it properly

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28:03 AM »
Hi Gav.

Say what you see .. Top image "ET phone Home" .... as you said and GBF !!! Images as good as can get, there's much more to Turning than just Turning, and you'll pick them all up as you go along, even good and bad advice, it's all the downhill slope of this wonderful craft.

Given the size, the forms not to bad, flow comes with time and practise, looks to be a nice finish, could there be a tool mark over the missing heart wood (hole) the 2nd image, not noticing any sanding marks and if only beewaxs shows the old walnut off nice shine.

For where you're at, this isn't a bad first show, well done and cheers for sharing, fresh clearer closeup images could tell a different store, and even George has had them, if told.

Any other History in it being Canterbury makes a piece if it's from the grounds of the Cathedral.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:10 AM »
Regretfully, the image resolution and the lack of contrast with much of the background makes it near-impossible to be objective about the quality, but as David says, for a first post it looks to be quite acceptable.

If you really cannot afford to improve your equipment for taking photos, then at least get a roll of lining paper (£2 at any decent DI store). Try sticking the paper to a wall a couple of feet above a table or kitchen worktop, and drape the paper down the wall and over the table, that way you'll at least get a good clean background with plenty of contrast to display your work to much better effect.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »

Any other History in it being Canterbury makes a piece if it's from the grounds of the Cathedral.

Sadly not, I only did one tree in the Cathederal but got no wood from it - boo.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »

Sadly not, I only did one tree in the Cathederal but got no wood from it - boo.

Would one be presumptuous in you're A Tree Felling Fellow, had been or it was you were just handy with a saw at the time.

As George would say .. you've no detail in your profile .. it helps, as there could be a fellow forum member local to you able to give you advice, hand with problems or in introducing you at a Club, if not already in one, a club can be intimidating on a first visit on your own, I've known it for myself and seen it happen for others, it might not seem to be welcoming, even if everybody are like minded people (Turners).

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:00:33 PM »
Gav,

it's a shame the images are so poor, the colour in that walnut looks to be amazing.

Please take onboard some of the comments above and there are other threads on resizing and taking photos as well.

I think we'd all love to see your work properly photographed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!