Author Topic: Nova / Sorby....  (Read 3987 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Nova / Sorby....
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »
Hi all

I seem to remember that everywhere that sold Sorby chucks used to state clearly that Nova jaws were compatible.  They don't seem to say this anymore, and Brimarc are similarly silent. Does anyone know if there has been a change?  In particular I'm interested in the large Brimarc Cole jaws, the ones with the extensions that go up to about 14", but need to know whether they would fit my Patriot chuck.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Nova / Sorby....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »
Hi Chris,
I use the Nova range of chucks and have a student with a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck. All my jaws, including the large Nova Cole jaws fit both types of chuck. However, you asked about the large Brimarc Cole jaws. As far as I am aware, Brimarc don't manufacture their own jaws, they are just agents/sellers for other manufacturers. Since Brimarc are now the Teknatool agents in the UK, I am guessing the jaws you are referring to are the Large Nova jaws. However they are specified as 12", not 14", although they do state these are for use on a lathe with 14" swing. But, to complicate things still further, you can get 3" extensions to the 12" jaws, taking them up to 15".
By the way, Record Power have done the same as Robert Sorby, with their latest range of chucks, in that they have copied the Nova/Supernova. This means all their jaws are compatible with Nova/Supernova. That's good news as Record's prices are very competitive.
Sorry for the lengthy response but hope it helps.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
Thanks Paul.  Yes, my confusion on size, it's the 12" plus the 3" extensions I'm interested in.  I've got the Sorby one which is excellent and I really like using it but it's almost exactly just too small.....I've got the capacity to go for the bigger Novas so figure why not?

Very interesting on Record....they appear to do the 12" version at a very good price but no indication I can see that they do, or plan to do, the extensions.

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
I've used the Record Power 12" Cole jaws on a RS Patriot chuck without any problems.

Axminster do some 400mm jaws - but they don't fit the Patriot/Nova chucks.

Vicmarc sell 485mm Cole jaws - but they only fit the larger Vicmarc chucks so far as I know. Might be worth looking for second hand jaws and chuck though, as they're nicely made.

Duncan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
Vicmark Jaw also fit the Nova/Sorby chucks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
So.....Record have confirmed that all of their jaws are fully compatible with both Sorby and Teknatool so their cole jaws are a possibility at a very reasonable £60ish.

One thing I hadn't seen or heard of before....the Record cole jaws come with a set of extra long jaw screws to allow a 'normal' set of jaws to be fitted at the same time as the cole jaws.  Looks nifty and time saving!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »
One thing I hadn't seen or heard of before....the Record cole jaws come with a set of extra long jaw screws to allow a 'normal' set of jaws to be fitted at the same time as the cole jaws.

I did not know this, I'll have to look into it.

Have you seen these, Stacking studs (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-stacking-turn-studs-211309). The also fit onto Cole Jaws and enable you to hold all sorts of things, even off centre.

I have 2 sets.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:20 PM »
One thing I hadn't seen or heard of before....the Record cole jaws come with a set of extra long jaw screws to allow a 'normal' set of jaws to be fitted at the same time as the cole jaws.  Looks nifty and time saving!
Hi Chris,
Glad to see the info. on the Record chucks/jaws is looking useful. I just bought one of their SC3 with M33 x 3.5 threading, to make my life easier when I do demonstrations to clubs that have lathes with that spindle thread, but can use all my Nova jaws.

By the way, Nova have always offered the option of mounting a set of jaws on top of the cole jaws. It's not something I have used as my cole jaws are on one chuck, the other sets of jaws are on other chucks, but I can see the advantage if you've only got one chuck.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 11:42:36 PM »
Vicmark Jaw also fit the Nova/Sorby chucks.
My Vicmarc Cole jaws do not fit my Patriot or Record Power chucks. My Vicmarc "Bowl 485" jaws fit my Vicmarc VM120 chuck, but not the smaller Vicmarc 100mm chuck due to different screw spacings. The Bowl 485 jaws have the locating spigot on the jaws, whereas the Patriot chucks have the spigot on the jaw carriers.
They may have changed their chucks over time so I think I'd want to see jaws and chuck together before purchasing!
Duncan 

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
So.....Record have confirmed that all of their jaws are fully compatible with both Sorby and Teknatool so their cole jaws are a possibility at a very reasonable £60ish.

I would imagine that this set up could be a bit dangerous, especially if the Cole jaws' edges are exposed i.e. open as you are turning. I would go for a seperate chuck rather than risk injury.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
Have you seen these, Stacking studs (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-stacking-turn-studs-211309). The also fit onto Cole Jaws and enable you to hold all sorts of things, even off centre.

I have 2 sets.

Just to add another example of inter-operability, these Axminster Stacking Studs also fit the Nova Cole Jaws