General Category > General Discussion

Help for a new boy !

(1/3) > >>

BOB A JOB:
As the subject says I'm a new boy so be gentle with me all you experienced tuners out there !

I did a very small bit of turning about 12 years ago but just what I picked up myself, no traing, courses or anything.

Now retired (YIPEEE !) I have to decide what to do with 2 Graduate Lathes that I have never used.
Should I sell them and by a new lathe, if so which ?
Or sell one and get the other re-furbished and have the electronic speed control fitted ?   :-\

Any advice welcome,

Many thanks,
Bob.

Andy Coates:
It all depends what you wish to turn, Bob. The Graduate is still a desirable lathe for many people, and re-furbished versions sell for around £1000+, so you potentially have a couple of thousand in lathes there.

It it were me I'd probably refurbish one, convert to variable speed, and perhaps sell the other to pay for the referb. A non-variable in unloved state can still achieve £500+ so you have a good opportunity there. And if you later decide to go for a newer lathe you could get £1000+ for the variable refurbed lathe.

Whatever you decide have fun and turn safely.

You can ask anything on here and somebody will answer your queries.

Andy

Bryan Milham:
Andy has said it all, referb and add variable speed.

Now the next question, Bowls or Spindles?

BrianH:
Sorry chaps and chapesses but here comes a word of caution from the Devil's advocate.
I would strongly suggest, Bob, you start turning with what you have got right now, with as little, or preferably no, outlay at all at this early stage.
The sheds and garages of this world are full of unused and no-longer-loved rusty lathes. This must mean that there are an equal number of ex Bob-a-Job new boys whose initial keen-ness didn't stay the planned course.
Sorry Bob but there is just no way you can tell at this stage of your career whether an addiction, like mine, or dereliction, like those other ex newbies I spoke about awaits you in 6 month's time. So do your wallet a favour and keep the 'folding' folded until you know a little more.
Let us know were you are geographically and we will, hopefully, help you find your local club and someone to take you under their wing to get you started in the right direction.
All the best and I sincerely hope the turning bug bites
Brian

Roger Groom:
Hi Bob
Hang on to one of them, fit variable speed and you will have a first class lathe. I would not be without mine (unless I came up on Ernie!!!!!)
Roger G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version