Author Topic: Beginner here. Advice please.  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Bern01

• iron
Beginner here. Advice please.
« on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
I will very much appreciate advice please.

I've tried to find a beginners guide here without success but my apologies if there us one.

I found the group through buying The Foundation course book.
I tried to compare machines/specifications for lathes within my £200 budget
But as I'm not too sure what I'm specifically interested in I jumped in the deep
End and bought a SIP 01488 two Sundays ago.
It's got a wood turning chuck and a 4 jaw chuck along with various other
Accessories and tools.
I used a 5x1 1/2" blank on Sunday from Stiles & Bates and turned and bored/gouged
A small lamp base which I  sealed (cellulose) then waxed (Canuba/Beeswax).
My wife is very impressed and I'm pleased.

My next attempt was with Lime just because it is so soft, I wanted to
Compare working on the two woods.

My third I plan to turn in Cherry to see how the colour and grain compares.

As I work 6 days a week, 3 of those away, I can't get to the local club (Hemel Hempstead).

So can anyone please suggest a Beginners site/forum/group?

If not apart from reading books and watching Youtube, what would be a good
Source for guidance on how I might progress and learn in stages
Preferably including producing small items of increasing complexity as my
Skill and experience develops.

Sorry to be so lengthy.
Thank you for looking,
Bernard

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Beginner here. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Hi Bernard

Welcome to the forum and woodturning. Firstly before you teach yourself to many bad habits I would book a days turning with a competent woodturner. You will find a list of woodturners that teach on the AWGB site here's a link https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgb-tutors-map/ also you could look at the Register of Professional Turners another link here http://www.registerofprofessionalturners.co.uk/find-a-turner/

When watching YouTube you are interpreting what your seeing and there's no one to correct you if you have misinterpreted what's been put up on YouTube, also you will have no idea if the person who's put the video up is capable of teaching. There really are some poor and dangerous things put up on YouTube.

You can ask questions here and I'm sure that someone will be able to offer advice, but I think that all will support a days tuition is the best starting point.

I've put up a couple of starting video's on YouTube which explain what tools are used for what and basic cuts you can find them by searching Olivers Woodturning on YouTube, but again this will not replacing take a day's course with someone.

All the best

Ed   

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi Bernard,

I'll back up everything Ed says. I turned for 10 years before joining a club and learned what it was all really about.

I'm afraid I don't have much faith in YouTube. The number of videos of poor turners doing dangerous things, vastly outweigh the few really good videos.

Having said that the AWGB has a fantastic resource in its 'Lets Teach Turning' package. Its available from the AWGB Website 'Resources tab' or linked here https://www.awgb.co.uk/documents/.

Its a free download but only runs on windows at the moment, so if your an Apple person it will be no use to you.

However, we are a friendly bunch and like to assist and unlike some forums, don't ohhh and ahhh over every post, we do give honest feedback/constructive criticism, so feel free to join us, post your turnings and ask for comments and critiques.

We'll help where we can.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Bern01

• iron
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
Ed,
Thank you for your help.

I agree, as soon as I started to try and put what I'd seen into practice
I realised there were many little things that either I didn't understand
Or weren't shown especially when it came to turning the internal surface.

I'll have a look at who's available,
Bernard

Offline Bern01

• iron
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
That resource sounds very useful.

My main problem is lack of spare time.
The last time I used a lathe was during metalwork classes
At school. I'm now 58 and recently decided to stop dithering
Waiting for the ideal time but just get on and start trying to
Turn something which has always been on my "to do" list.

Thank you,
Bernard

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »
Ed,
Thank you for your help.

I agree, as soon as I started to try and put what I'd seen into practice
I realised there were many little things that either I didn't understand
Or weren't shown especially when it came to turning the internal surface.

I'll have a look at who's available,
Bernard

You could not do any better than see if Ed has a slot available as he teaches as well I know it will be a couple of hours journey each way but in my eyes well worth it.

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
As others have said above - tuition will provide far better hands-on learning than watching YouTube (there are a numerous good turners but even more with less than ideal technique).

Mindful the amount you budgeted for your lathe - then if having some lessons is too much right now, as an interim I would strongly recommend finding a club that fits with your busy schedule. Options near you include:
  • Middlesex Turners who meet in North Harrow in the evening of the 2nd Thursday of every month http://www.middxturners.com/
  • Alternatively there is a club at Milton Keynes - contact details via this website https://www.awgb.co.uk/club-list/ - but good luck contacting them - they have failed to reply every time I've tried to contact them
  • Also there is an informal "club" that meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at High Wycombe Axminster store between 10am-2pm
Another way which may provide you with a lots of great learning of technique is to attend the free or cheap demos where a professional turning guru or instructor showcases some of their projects - ones near you coming up soon include

Lastly, having said there is some poor info on YouTube; there is a lot of well considered and info on good technique to be found here https://vimeo.com/woodturning

Hope this helps - good luck
"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:52:24 AM »

i agree with all that has bee said but will add that i am not far from high wycombe and if you can get to burnham then i'm happy to help.

i've also got plenty of timber i'm wanting to get shot of so if you want some just pop over.

Offline Bern01

• iron
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:46:21 AM »
Axminster, Kraftinwood plus Burnham suggestions.

These are all very welcome ideas.

Incidentally I didn't realise that Axminster had stores
Around the country. I say this just to confirm my lack
Of knowledge.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me,

Bernard